Retake MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorpol

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently took the MCAT and got a 505 which I know is below the average but with a 4.0 GPA do you think I have a shot at MD schools in Texas? Or would I be better off retaking the exam?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you in a huge hurry for any reason? Can you do better on the MCAT? If possible I would retake if you feel you could do better with a gap year and dedicated prep time. Don't wind up a reapplicant, your GPA won't always make up for a low MCAT. Better to apply once and do it 100%.

That said, I know Texas has its own thing going - hopefully someone who knows Texas schools better can weigh in.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I think you need a retake... but can you not take it and still apply this round? I haven't looked at anything MCAT related since I got my last score back, but there are dates this spring right? If they're full, it never fails that spots open as the date gets close.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you in a huge hurry for any reason? Can you do better on the MCAT? If possible I would retake if you feel you could do better with a gap year and dedicated prep time. Don't wind up a reapplicant, your GPA won't always make up for a low MCAT. Better to apply once and do it 100%.

That said, I know Texas has its own thing going - hopefully someone who knows Texas schools better can weigh in.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I could do better on the MCAT but I can't seem to find a set study schedule to follow during the semester with coursework and research. If you don't mind me asking, how many hours per week/how many weeks did you study for the MCAT?

I think you need a retake... but can you not take it and still apply this round? I haven't looked at anything MCAT related since I got my last score back, but there are dates this spring right? If they're full, it never fails that spots open as the date gets close.

Yes, I was planning on taking it in June which would give me about 3 months to study! If you don't me asking as well, how did your study schedule look like?

Yes, I was planning on taking it in June which would give me about 3 months to study! If you don't me asking as well, how did your study schedule look like?

Retook a 28, ended with 512. Had about a month and a half while working full-time but I was already out of college. You can PM me with specific questions but it was basically EK for bio/biochem, physics, and chemistry supplemented by videos. Then listening to Khan Academy while I worked in my lab. You shouldn't be relearning every single thing so... three months seems like more than enough.