retake MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmassak1923

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am pretty new to this forum. I am a Vietnamese-American. I just finished my first year of graduate school at UT soutwestern (going in neuroscience)...I have always wanted to study medicine but have also had the interest in science.
My results from the April 2005 mcat were 27N (9VR, 8PS, 10BS)...Briefly, I also have an undergrad cul gpa of 3.68, worked for a semester in radiology at local hospital, shadowed a local pathologist for a few weeks, shadowed uncle in Vietnam for a week, and studied intensive Chinese for a year at Beijing and Shanghai.

Could any of you tell me my chances of being accepted into medical school?
What else can I do for this round of applications? What schools should I lookat? Any other comments would help. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Try the University at Buffalo, they look at entire application and the person. They look at more than just your numbers.

kmassak1923 said:
Hello everyone,

I am pretty new to this forum. I am a Vietnamese-American. I just finished my first year of graduate school at UT soutwestern (going in neuroscience)...I have always wanted to study medicine but have also had the interest in science.
My results from the April 2005 mcat were 27N (9VR, 8PS, 10BS)...Briefly, I also have an undergrad cul gpa of 3.68, worked for a semester in radiology at local hospital, shadowed a local pathologist for a few weeks, shadowed uncle in Vietnam for a week, and studied intensive Chinese for a year at Beijing and Shanghai.

Could any of you tell me my chances of being accepted into medical school?
What else can I do for this round of applications? What schools should I lookat? Any other comments would help. Thanks.
It's impossible for anyone on here to predict exactly how well you'll do in the application. You should know that those numbers are just fine for Texas schools (as long as you are a resident), and they're also competitive nationally; it's not all about numbers, I promise you (speak to the 3.5+/30+ folks that were rejected for a candid answer if you don't believe me). Schools love people with research degrees - especially if you have manuscripts, but the logic in you application assay MUST be completely consistent (why medical school now?, what happened in graduate school to direct you here?). The only cationary note I might add is to be very careful if you are thinking of leaving graduate school without your degree to start medical school (of course, you didn't mention that, and I'm not sure if this is a two-year M.S. or Ph.D.) because there is nothing more damaging to a professional career than not honoring a commitment made. You'll hear of some people who have left graduate school and successfully gained medical school entry but they are definitely in the minority. Medical schools like consistency and seeing that you finished what you started.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some people will try to convince you to retake it and get a 40+. They are smoking ganja. I know retaking the MCAT last year killed me in the admissions process because it puts your application complete sometime in Oct. compared to now. It makes a huge difference. I know at one school specifically, I am on the waitlist and the director said I would have most likely been accepted right away if it weren't for my application getting in so late. The only negative thing on my app. was the date is was complete due to the Aug. MCAT. You don't have to listen to my advice, but last year all I heard, was retake the test... blah, blah, blah. Speaking from experience, I would apply if I were you!

Scottish Chap said:
It's impossible for anyone on here to predict exactly how well you'll do in the application. You should know that those numbers are just fine for Texas schools (as long as you are a resident), and they're also competitive nationally; it's not all about numbers, I promise you (speak to the 3.5+/30+ folks that were rejected for a candid answer if you don't believe me). Schools love people with research degrees - especially if you have manuscripts, but the logic in you application assay MUST be completely consistent (why medical school now?, what happened in graduate school to direct you here?). The only cationary note I might add is to be very careful if you are thinking of leaving graduate school without your degree to start medical school (of course, you didn't mention that, and I'm not sure if this is a two-year M.S. or Ph.D.) because there is nothing more damaging to a professional career than not honoring a commitment made. You'll hear of some people who have left graduate school and successfully gained medical school entry but they are definitely in the minority. Medical schools like consistency and seeing that you finished what you started.

Thanks!!!

I plan on attaining atleast the MS. I will be submitting an abstract at the SFN meeting this november, have authorship in one paper and co-authoring another this winter.

I am not sure as to the status of my residency however. I have lived in Texas for one year, am employed here at a Graduate research assistant, plan to switch my driver's license to TX and am in the midst of buying a home here. I am originally from Arkansas and do, infact, plan on applying to UAMS...

Please reply with any other suggestions???

Thanks everyone.