Retake mcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

longhorn41592

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am planning on applying for this years cycle and I want to know if I should consider retaking the Mcat? I scored a 26 7PS10V9BS in September.
I am a Hispanic Texas resident and will be applying to all Texas schools.
Here are my stats:

3.82C.G.P.A./ 3.73 S.G.P.A.
I have over 800 research hours with 2 poster presentations.
Volunteer hours:
50 E.R.
50 Hospital dietary
25 wound healing center.

Shadowing:
44 E.R.
110 Family Practice
30 Radiology

Clinical Experience:
40 Hours Medical volunteer Costa Rica and Nicaragua
200 Hours Medical internship Belize

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like you have great experiences and gpa's. That you're URM only helps. Even with a 26, I think you should get some love from at least some TX schools, maybe with the exception of Southwestern and Baylor. But personally, if I were in your shoes, I'd retake the mcat. With a 26 you have much room for improvement, and a higher score will definitely increase your chances of interviews/acceptances.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have no where else to go but up. You have the hardest portion nailed other are easy.

Lol, I always found the VR section the easiest. I barely studied for it and I consistently got a 12. I read a lot of books, maybe that helps...?

I think what everybody means is that you can add a few points to your PS or BS section by studying up and relearning concepts, but reading comprehension...that you've been doing your whole life. It isn't easy to tell someone to do something in a different way after they've been doing it another way for 2 decades.

Lol, I always found the VR section the easiest. I barely studied for it and I consistently got a 12. I read a lot of books, maybe that helps...?

I bow to you. 12 in verbal is defined as god in my dictionary. impressive, I cannot break a single digit in verbal with all preparation but am comfortably double digits in sciences.

I think what everybody means is that you can add a few points to your PS or BS section by studying up and relearning concepts, but reading comprehension...that you've been doing your whole life. It isn't easy to tell someone to do something in a different way after they've been doing it another way for 2 decades.

So true a useless section that proves nothing.