Retake Non-science course or Take New Science Course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tedmed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi non-trads!

I'm planning on applying to both DO and MD school in Summer 2013.

If you could only choose 1 option, is it better to take an extra new science course that's not a pre-req or retake a non-science course to boost low cgpa?

Longer version with background on question:

I graduated in 2009 with a degree in Marketing. I've been working FT since then in my field and last fall decided I wanted to be a Doctor and started my pre-reqs.

My undergrad GPA was poor, it was a 2.9. The good news is I had almost no science and math.

Courses I've taken so far since coming back:

Bio 1 w/ Lab: A
Bio 2 w/ Lab: A
Intro Chem: A
Chem 1 w/ Lab: A
Chem 2 w/ Lab: A
Trig: A

Even with all these A's, my cgpa is only taking a slight boost since I had like 140 undergrad credits.

I'm taking Organic and Physics in the Fall and Organic 2 and Physics 2 in the Spring...then taking MCAT's and applying mainly DO but also some lower MD schools.

With my work schedule, I feel like I have room for only 1 more class each semester.

I heard that taking Genetics is good for the transcript and the MCAT, it doesn't work with my schedule for the Fall so I'd like to take that in the Spring with Organic 2 and Physics 2.

That leaves me with 1 class this Fall to choose from. I got a D in US History 1492 - 1877 my Freshman year in College. Ugh, don't ask. So I thought I could either retake US History and get a slight boost on the cgpa once I get an A, or I could take Microbiology as a new upper level bio course to add to transcript.

Which do you think would be better?

Members don't see this ad.

No one is going to care about your US history grade. The Micro will be of more help to you in the long run - especially in medical school but not necessarily the MCAT.

No one is going to care about your US history grade. The Micro will be of more help to you in the long run - especially in medical school but not necessarily the MCAT.
Thanks.

Do you think that taking Microbiology with Organic and Physics is going to be too much? I also work 30-35 hours a week in a stressful management position. I've never taken Physics in HS so I don't know what to expect there.

Also, I don't have a recent LOR from non-science faculty. Last resort I can ring some of my Marketing professors from 2009. So, another advantage could be obtaining that from US History. What do you think?

I'm probably just trying to rationalize making my Fall schedule easier but it's nice to talk it out with somebody.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, Organic, Physics, and Micro are ALL killer courses. If you have never had physics before, I would not take it with the other two. Organic is brutal with all the memorization with the reactions and the flow of electrons. You either really get it, or you don't. Never know until you have attempted it. Micro when I took it had lab with it. Gonna have to work your schedule so you have the best success especially with working. No one know what you can handle besides yourself.

Pick either Physics or Orgo. Both require the most work of any premed courses.

I'm in the same boat as you GPA wise and am not retaking the Comp Sci class I did poorly in at this point. It barely makes a dent GPA wise and is a waste of effort IMO.