retake ochem at jc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.McDreamy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,

I'm at a university and did quite horribly in ochem classes, however not horrible enuf to be able to retake them. I was just wondering if I should retake them at a jc just to prove that I could handle ochem. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Dr.McDreamy said:
hi everyone,

I'm at a university and did quite horribly in ochem classes, however not horrible enuf to be able to retake them. I was just wondering if I should retake them at a jc just to prove that I could handle ochem. Thanks in advance.

It depends. How badly did you do?

Dr.McDreamy said:
hi everyone,

retake ochem at an easier college. that way you're guaranteed to do better.
oh and the adcoms know this too

if you can't retake it at your school then you must not have done THAT bad. why go through that again?

Members don't see this ad :)
TigerLilies said:
It depends. How badly did you do?

C C B-

school wont let me take it over unless I got C- or below

Going form a JC to a 4-year is fine. Taking 1 class over the summer at a JC to save $$ is OK. Doing badly in an OChem course from a 4-year university and then retaking it at a JC is not.

At the very least, med schools have always stated that one should take the most rigorous option, especially in regards to OChem. This implies taking an upper division courses. JC courses (in everything) are lower division.

Additionally, although my JC OChem course was up to par with the upper division course at my 4-year, adcoms may think otherwise for numerous reasons, including the one I mentioned above. We are all expected to do well in every class, at any school, and adcoms favor those that went the more rigorous route.

at my 4 year school gen chem is a 100 level class and ochem is a 200 level class (same as at jc) on a 400 level scale. most core intro classes pre-meds take *are* lower level (the standard bio/gchem/ochem/phys ones that is).

If you need any help, let me know.

Loved that course. And probably everyone in the class hated me for it as well. ;)

Some adcoms suggest taking an upper level chemistry class like biochemistry and doing very well in them (biochem was a higher level class than orgo II and orgo I and II were prereqs, but I don't know how it is at your college) to prove your chemistry knowledge. Retaking orgo at a JC will be obvious to the adcoms and they very likely will attribute the higher grade to inflation of grades or the easier nature of JC classes, whether it is true or not.

AmyO said:
Some adcoms suggest taking an upper level chemistry class like biochemistry and doing very well in them (biochem was a higher level class than orgo II and orgo I and II were prereqs, but I don't know how it is at your college) to prove your chemistry knowledge. Retaking orgo at a JC will be obvious to the adcoms and they very likely will attribute the higher grade to inflation of grades or the easier nature of JC classes, whether it is true or not.
Very good advice. Retaking a hard course in an easier class doesn't help any. Take a harder higher class at your home university.

What about taking orgo at a comprable 4-year university over the summer? Can you do that as a visiting student? Or even sign up in the university's 'continuing education' department?

thebeatgoeson said:
What about taking orgo at a comprable 4-year university over the summer? Can you do that as a visiting student? Or even sign up in the university's 'continuing education' department?

This might be workable, if you did tho, make damn sure your grades are much higher this time, preferably A's. And doing such a thing is called Transient status. Most colleges require permission from the home university to do it.
~James