retake or not...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xjoohn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently a sophomore attending university in my state majoring in Chemistry. I fooled around and partied too much my first semester of freshmen yr and got a C- in general chemistry I and C+ in calculus I. After realizing how bad it was for dentistry, I managed to get A-'s in gen chem 2, ochem 1, and probably (hopefully) in ochem 2 as well. I'm pretty sure I can get A's if I retook gen chem 1 and calc I so should I take them or just continue with upper level classes? Also should I take calculus II instead of taking I over again?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

i will retake them and will not make the same mistake again

I will not take classes that have already been taken unless the school does not take courses below a C-

Members don't see this ad :)
Retake because schools won't accept any prereqs that are below a C...

Personally I wouldn't retake it. More important then A's in everything is having an upward trend, which you do.......Alot of schools think that shows character and might show how you are dedicated.

Yikes, okay I'm going to have to retake gen chem 1 at least.

As for calculus, should I? I mean is calculus something dental schools find very important? I rather take calc II and do better on it...

it's not that staunch imo

i had a D+ in one of my chems and i got offers

i know other kids who have similar experiences too

but i came from a school that didn't let you retake anything unless you got an F

idk if that made it an exception

Retake only because many dental schools won't ACCEPT (-------------- grades that are below C.

Good luck!

Retake only because many dental schools won't ACCEPT (-------------- grades that are below C.

Good luck!

What if my school doesn't let me retake it..? Then would I have to take it somewhere else? My friend once told me you can't retake a class after three semesters and it's going to be my third semester since. I'm going to have clarify this with my counselor though.

Hello,

I am currently a sophomore attending university in my state majoring in Chemistry. I fooled around and partied too much my first semester of freshmen yr and got a C- in general chemistry I and C+ in calculus I. After realizing how bad it was for dentistry, I managed to get A-'s in gen chem 2, ochem 1, and probably (hopefully) in ochem 2 as well. I'm pretty sure I can get A's if I retook gen chem 1 and calc I so should I take them or just continue with upper level classes? Also should I take calculus II instead of taking I over again?

Thanks

retake the course, 2 reasons why:
1. It will look a lot better because it shows commitment to GPA and school work
2. It will boost your sGPA, BCP and ultimately make you slightly more competitive

okay I'm going to retake gen chem 1 for sure during the summer, but help me on calculus guys! I would like to avoid it if I can...

Sent from my SGH-T959V using SDN Mobile

okay I'm going to retake gen chem 1 for sure during the summer, but help me on calculus guys! I would like to avoid it if I can...

I got into dental school with a C- in calculus. Only a handful of schools need it, unfortunately its part of the sGPA so if you do retake then it will boost it. But honestly I find no reason to retake it, its a hard class and it requires more effort than its worth just to get into dental school. Basically you can get accepted to dental school with a low calculus grade.

I got into dental school with a C- in calculus. Only a handful of schools need it, unfortunately its part of the sGPA so if you do retake then it will boost it. But honestly I find no reason to retake it, its a hard class and it requires more effort than its worth just to get into dental school. Basically you can get accepted to dental school with a low calculus grade.

I never knew calculus was counted towards science gpa... yikes :( anyways when calculating the sGPA do you average the two grades together? thats how my school does it I think.

Members don't see this ad :)
I never knew calculus was counted towards science gpa... yikes :( anyways when calculating the sGPA do you average the two grades together? thats how my school does it I think.

AADSAS counts math classes as part of the sGPA and yes they count every grade. So you would average all the math + science classes together to get a sGPA. Meanwhile BCP is the Bio, Chem and Physics GPA that excludes math, this would be higher for you since you bombed Calc.

Math classes are factored into sci GPA's. Calculus I and calculus II will be factored into the sci GPA as two different classes if you took them as separate courses. Now if your school takes the two classes and gives you one "calculus" grade, that maybe could change things.

Math classes are factored into sci GPA's. Calculus I and calculus II will be factored into the sci GPA as two different classes if you took them as separate courses. Now if your school takes the two classes and gives you one "calculus" grade, that maybe could change things.

what my school does, i believe, is that if i retake a course and I get an A, they would replace the grade to an A, but averages the two grades when calculating the gpa. So will they use the A or the averaged gpa of that course?

Monkey thats not true, most schools will list both grades on your actual transcript and AADSAS will calculate both. Med schools will count only the latest one hence they follow the grade replacement policy. AADSAS will count all grades.

Monkey thats not true, most schools will list both grades on your actual transcript and AADSAS will calculate both. Med schools will count only the latest one hence they follow the grade replacement policy. AADSAS will count all grades.

Originally Posted by Seamonkey Doc:

Wired, I thought he was asking if Calculus I and Calculus II will be averaged together. I am aware that if you retake a class (like Cal I in this case), it will be averaged. However Cal I and Cal II will be counted separately since they are two courses.

Originally Posted by Seamonkey Doc:

Wired, I thought he was asking if Calculus I and Calculus II will be averaged together. I am aware that if you retake a class (like Cal I in this case), it will be averaged. However Cal I and Cal II will be counted separately since they are two courses.

True I believe he was saying a retake might replace the original. I was trying to quote his statement. All good.

I'd retake the chem because a lot of schools won't accept prereqs below a C. I wouldn't retake the calculus because only a few schools require it for admission. Good luck!

What a C- on a 4.0 scale? If it's below 2.0, you'll def need to retake Chem.

If you really think you can bring up that Calc grade (3.7 or 4.0), then you can consider retaking it or taking Calc II. Otherwise, it's not something that will hurt you. The DAT math is basic algebra and trig anyways

Alright thanks for all the help guys!

So to clear things up... if I retake Calculus I and Chemistry AADSAS will average the previous grade and the new one together when calculating my new GPA, correct? Yeah I made up my mind to take both classes again and hopefully ace both of them during the summer.

Alright thanks for all the help guys!

So to clear things up... if I retake Calculus I and Chemistry AADSAS will average the previous grade and the new one together when calculating my new GPA, correct? Yeah I made up my mind to take both classes again and hopefully ace both of them during the summer.

Yep.
Good luck

I'd say retake gen chem I and try to get an A, but I wouldn't retake calc I. I also got a C+ in Calc I (wasn't serious 1st semester freshman year) but busted my butt to get an A in calc II. The C+ never came up in any of my interviews.....Just my 2 cents.

I wouldn't retake calc.... I got C's in Calc II and Calc III and had an additional C+ on my transcript in a upper division Physiology class and got into 6 schools.