Retake question on grade replacement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pancakesyrup

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took biochemistry and got a C-, and I am seriously considering a retake, but at a different school, and I want to make sure that it qualifies.

Here is the course description of the original biochem that I took:

[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]BCHM463 Biochemistry of Physiology; (3 credits) Grade Method: REG/AUD.
A one-semester introduction to general biochemistry. A study of protein structure, enzyme catalysis, metabolism, and metabolic regulation with respect to their relationship to physiology. [/SIZE].[/SIZE].
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]
Course description of what I want to retake:
[/SIZE].[/SIZE].
BIOL 430: Biological Chemistry (4 credits)
An introductory course describing the essential principles of biochemistry. Topics include the structure and characterization of biological macromolecules, the energetics and thermodynamics of coupled biological reactions, and enzymology. The most important metabolic pathways are described, emphasizing their cellular compartmentalization, integration and control.
So what do you guys think? I know that retakes can be accepted if there are more credits than the original, but I'm nervous that the second description doesn't mention "physiology". And if none of you know for sure, then who makes the call? Is it AACOMAS, or the individual DO adcoms?

I'm also planning to retake physics II (non-calc), but isn't that course the same pretty much everywhere?

Members don't see this ad.

I took biochemistry and got a C-, and I am seriously considering a retake, but at a different school, and I want to make sure that it qualifies.

Here is the course description of the original biochem that I took:

[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]
Course description of what I want to retake:
[/SIZE].[/SIZE]. So what do you guys think? I know that retakes can be accepted if there are more credits than the original, but I'm nervous that the second description doesn't mention "physiology". And if none of you know for sure, then who makes the call? Is it AACOMAS, or the individual DO adcoms?

I'm also planning to retake physics II (non-calc), but isn't that course the same pretty much everywhere?
I would get in contact with AACOMAS as they will be the ones that make the call. Your physics should be fine, I am just a skeptical of the biochem replacement because it relates to physiology (both in the title and in course description).

These two courses look similar but not similar enough to assume aacomas will let you replace it for sure. Like what dntke said, definitely contact aacomas to confirm before retaking it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone keeps saying "contact AACOMAS" and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but they're not going to tell you either.

I've contacted them about several course retakes and their response is always the same. Below is their response to my most recent email.

"We cannot advise you on course retakes. All we can tell you is that if the retake is the same level (undergraduate/graduate), same or similar in content, and the repeated course has equal or greater credit hours then it can be used as a repeat. It also does not matter if they were taken at different institutions."

Yeah, not very helpful... But, you can try contacting them.

Everyone keeps saying "contact AACOMAS" and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but they're not going to tell you either.

I've contacted them about several course retakes and their response is always the same. Below is their response to my most recent email.

"We cannot advise you on course retakes. All we can tell you is that if the retake is the same level (undergraduate/graduate), same or similar in content, and the repeated course has equal or greater credit hours then it can be used as a repeat. It also does not matter if they were taken at different institutions."

"Similar in content".........maybe it's worth a try?

Maybe it would help if people here can give examples of retakes they've done at different institutions, and were able to have their courses count as retakes.

"Similar in content".........maybe it's worth a try?

Maybe it would help if people here can give examples of retakes they've done at different institutions, and were able to have their courses count as retakes.
I would retake with that course description.

Weird. About a year ago I contacted them and provided course descriptions and they were happy to help. Maybe they've changed their policy.

Weird. About a year ago I contacted them and provided course descriptions and they were happy to help. Maybe they've changed their policy.

Yeah, the times I contacted them in the past, which was in the recent weeks, I provided course titles, descriptions, everything they'd need to see, but all I got each time was the, "we can't tell you" response I posted above. Maybe they did change the policy...who knows.