Retake science classes or take upper division classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackjackdealer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I'm currently applying to DO/MD and have already gotten quite a few secondaries from some DO schools.

My MCAT is 507 and GPA is not great, about 2.76. Basically, my general science course grades are mostly Cs.
I'm planning on taking non-degree classes at a local university and was wondering if its better to re-take the classes I got Cs in (about 8 classes, so expensive) or to take upper division science classes (biochem, cell bio, anatomy, etc) instead.

I strongly feel like my Cs in the sciences are holding me back but am wondering how much of a GPA boost it would be to take them again vs taking upper level science classes.

Also, if I take these classes in the fall and send an update to my schools, would it be too late for consideration or would it help my application?

Members don't see this ad.

You would raise your gpa faster and save more money by retaking the science classes. You more than likely won't have to do all eight.

You would raise your gpa faster and save more money by retaking the science classes. You more than likely won't have to do all eight.

I was thinking the same thing. When you say I wouldnt have to do all eight, do you mean that re-taking a few would suffice?
I'm assuming bio 1/2, orgo 1/2 would be more important than say, physics right?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking the same thing. When you say I wouldnt have to do all eight, do you mean that re-taking a few would suffice?
I'm assuming bio 1/2, orgo 1/2 would be more important than say, physics right?

You'll have to do the math yourself. But with a 2.7 I estimates 5-6 A's on retakes should get you a ~3.2-~3.3. Remember they completely replace the grades. The more A's you get the more money you will save

Honestly you probably shouldn't have applied this cycle. Your GPA is too low to have a realistic chance this year.

Take advantage of DO grade replacement and retake C,D,F courses until you are at least above a 3.0 but 3.2+ would be better. With your MCAT you should be competitive for DO schools at that point. You are not competitive for MD even with retakes. Focus on DO.

The most important thing is to make certain you get A's. Why did you get C's the first time? Have you addressed the cause? Grade replacement is a fantastic opportunity, so take full advantage of it.