Retake with a low RC but decent AA and TS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I posted my DAT breakdown over a month ago, and I still can't seem to answer the question of whether or not a retake is necessary for myself. Again, here are my scores:

AA: 21
TS: 23
Bio: 23
GC: 21
OC: 25
PAT: 21
RC: 16*
QR: 19

My GPA is 3.95 and I have done research. If I apply broadly, do you think I will get into a school? Are my other scores decent enough to offset my reading score? I, along with many of you, poured my blood, sweat, and tears into this exam, and it would stink to have to retake it. Please let me know your thoughts! Thanks again :) Anyone that's been in a similar situation, please share your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone. I posted my DAT breakdown over a month ago, and I still can't seem to answer the question of whether or not a retake is necessary for myself. Again, here are my scores:

AA: 21
TS: 23
Bio: 23
GC: 21
OC: 25
PAT: 21
RC: 16*
QR: 19

My GPA is 3.95 and I have done research. If I apply broadly, do you think I will get into a school? Are my other scores decent enough to offset my reading score? I, along with many of you, poured my blood, sweat, and tears into this exam, and it would stink to have to retake it. Please let me know your thoughts! Thanks again :) Anyone that's been in a similar situation, please share your thoughts!

your best bet is to contact admissions at the schools you want to go to and see what they say and go from there

Reactions: 1 user
I'd retake, your GPA is great and you don't want a low score in a single section to hold you back (I don't think most schools will screen your application out because of a 16 in RC, but some do place a lot of emphasis on that section).

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the advice, guys! I was looking at ADEA guide and a large proportion of the schools have AA's that range as low as 16-17. Are these people with wealthy parents donating tons of money to get in?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Dang, tough call. I think that RC score will hold you back ultimately. I'd retake.

For your particular situation, I'm not sure if you do need to retake the D.A.T. Your AA is good and your RC is above 15. I think it would be best to directly contact the people that will be making these decisions (contact the schools you are interested in).

Yeah, it's a really difficult decision for me to make. Supposedly the selection process is supposed to be "holistic". If this is the case, I'm hoping they make over look this score if the rest of my application is very strong? Who knows :(

Oh, believe me, I could think of wayyy more fun things to do that start with "s" than studying lol... i know sucks to study.
Good luck!

Yeah, it's a really difficult decision for me to make. Supposedly the selection process is supposed to be "holistic". If this is the case, I'm hoping they make over look this score if the rest of my application is very strong? Who knows :(