This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptainJack4393

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay So I've had to do a few retakes. To start here is a bit of my science class history I took General Biology Got a B-, then I went on a church mission for for two years. Came back and retook that class and got an A in lecture and lab. Next year I took principles and got a B+ in lecture and lab. I then foolishly the next year took physiology before anatomy and got a D-. I was also taking principles of Chem and got a B-. I got a C+ in trig. My grades that semester dropped a bit probably due to the heavy course load and not having a good anatomy base. I got a D in Principles of Chem 2 but a B+ in lab. I retook that over the summer in a short 8 week block and got a B+. I'm taking Anatomy at a really intensive program and could possibly finish with an A in lecture and lab. I plan on retaking Phys in the spring. I took O-chem but since the Anatomy program is so intense at my school I lost focus on O-chem and am going to have to retake it. I'll be lucky to get a C at this point. Im doing okay in lab though at around a B+. I've calculated my science GPA and If I can get Straight A's in my remaining pre-reqs: Physics 1 and 2 (including labs) O-chem (1 retake and 2+ ochem 2 lab) Biochem and lab, Microbiology and lab, Bio2 and lab. and phys retake. I could finish with a science gpa of about 3.3.

I have a accumulative gpa of 3.21 right now. And that will go up if I can manage straight A's over the next 3 or 4 semesters. If I can get a good score on the DAT like 21-24. And have good extracurricular stuff. (Im on student Gov) Do I still have a chance at Dental School?

Members don't see this ad.

I think if your grades were all because of lack of discipline and bad time management, I think you should consider postbacc programs. If it was due to some other reasons like family issues, I think you have a shot. I actually have around 3.3 in overall and sci but didn't retake any classes. Also my school's known for being academically rigorous. So far I got two interviews after applying so late (mid september) with 22/23 DAT. One from instate and one out of state. I called a couple and they haven't even gotten to my app.
TBH if He wants you there you'll get there. Keep praying. My stats weren't so great but He's gotten me this far.
p.s. I'm not too sure but 21 DAT is above average but not as good as 22 and above. I think 21 is like 90~95th percentile? and 22 and above is 98~99th percentile. So quite a bit difference for just one point on DAT

Reactions: 1 user
I think if your grades were all because of lack of discipline and bad time management, I think you should consider postbacc programs. If it was due to some other reasons like family issues, I think you have a shot. I actually have around 3.3 in overall and sci but didn't retake any classes. Also my school's known for being academically rigorous. So far I got two interviews after applying so late (mid september) with 22/23 DAT. One from instate and one out of state. I called a couple and they haven't even gotten to my app.
TBH if He wants you there you'll get there. Keep praying. My stats weren't so great but He's gotten me this far.
p.s. I'm not too sure but 21 DAT is above average but not as good as 22 and above. I think 21 is like 90~95th percentile? and 22 and above is 98~99th percentile. So quite a bit difference for just one point on DAT
So sorry for bothering...but I really need some advice also. I am a freshman this year, and the first semster I got a B in cal and C in gen chem 1. My GPA this semester is a 3.3, do I still have chance? Or starting with 3.3 is already terrible. Thank you so much!!!

So sorry for bothering...but I really need some advice also. I am a freshman this year, and the first semster I got a B in cal and C in gen chem 1. My GPA this semester is a 3.3, do I still have chance? Or starting with 3.3 is already terrible. Thank you so much!!!
I wouldn't retake it. I'd just leave it and do better on higher level courses. 99% sure they won't ask you why you got a C on gen chem. Diff story if it was like orgo 2 or biochem. 3.3 isn't bad. I went down to below 3.0 at some point in freshmen/sophomore year.
Just do A's and some B's and you'll be fine. I'd say 3.2~3.3 would be the cut off though. Anything below you'd have to have really strong DAT or just do postbac.
I'm 3 for 3 so far for interviews so don't be discouraged