Retakes and Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beckhunter116

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All!

I was hoping to see how many of you have retaken classes and been accepted to school. How many classes did you retake? Were they science classes only or a mixture of science/non-science?

Please only reply if you have retaken classes and have been accepted somewhere.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey All!

I was hoping to see how many of you have retaken classes and been accepted to school. How many classes did you retake? Were they science classes only or a mixture of science/non-science?

Please only reply if you have retaken classes and have been accepted somewhere.

You can do a search for threads that have been started on this same subject. Here's the most recent one I believe: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=581425 .

Thanks! I vaguely searched but sometimes searching brings up a ton of threads that are totally unrelated to the subject.

If the moderators want to delete this thread I understand.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really don't think it needs to be deleted. We rarely do that around here. Plus, it's helpful because it both links to another "retake" thread and because Punkmed made the important point that the search function is a very useful one. Sometimes it takes some trial and error before you get proficient with it, but it is VERY helpful. :)

If you'd like me to lock the thread so no one else can post, I can. I don't think it's a big issue though.

I messed up my Gen Chems (C-/F) my freshman year, but retook both of them and passed with flying colors. I received acceptances to LMU-DCOM and NSU-COM, which were the only places at which I interviewed (though I turned down a PCOM-GA interview offer). Just remember if you retake a course, make sure you do well because there's nothing worse than retaking and doing average...adcoms will call you out on it.

I messed up my Gen Chems (C-/F) my freshman year, but retook both of them and passed with flying colors. I received acceptances to LMU-DCOM and NSU-COM, which were the only places at which I interviewed (though I turned down a PCOM-GA interview offer). Just remember if you retake a course, make sure you do well because there's nothing worse than retaking and doing average...adcoms will call you out on it.

I took organic chemistry and got a D+...took it again and got a D (yeah, THAT was embarassing) took it AGAIN and got an A. took organic II and got an A and then biochem and did very well as well. It came up in two of my interviews. But I was accepted everywhere I interviewed. So...Yeah

retakes=/=death

Retaking classes isn't usually a huge deal as long as you do much better the second time through. Among the people l know that are applying to med school right now, just about all of them have retaken at least one class. Seriously. And I've even encountered people who got in having retaken three or four classes. It's not as big a deal as it's been made out to be provided your other grades are solid.

Last edited:
I took calculus early on twice with grades of D, and then got an A the third time I took it. Is the last grade achieved put into the science GPA for osteopathic admissions? Does it matter if it is the same course, calculus 1, with same credit hours, but from different schools? I also took a biology majors course that was 2 credit hours, and part of a 3 course sequence in cell biology, and a one credit hour lab, but retook biology at a different university and got an A in it, is it possible that although credit hours and universities are different, the grade may be replaced? Even without recalculation my cumalitive GPA is 3.0, with a degree in chemical engineering from Purdue. I am glad I did well in upper level math as that helped out my science GPA, although I do not know if that is looked upon at all. I am thinking about AT Still in Kirksville, as I live in St. Louis, Missouri.

I took calculus early on twice with grades of D, and then got an A the third time I took it. Is the last grade achieved put into the science GPA for osteopathic admissions? Does it matter if it is the same course, calculus 1, with same credit hours, but from different schools? I also took a biology majors course that was 2 credit hours, and part of a 3 course sequence in cell biology, and a one credit hour lab, but retook biology at a different university and got an A in it, is it possible that although credit hours and universities are different, the grade may be replaced? Even without recalculation my cumalitive GPA is 3.0, with a degree in chemical engineering from Purdue. I am glad I did well in upper level math as that helped out my science GPA, although I do not know if that is looked upon at all. I am thinking about AT Still in Kirksville, as I live in St. Louis, Missouri.

Math is not calculated in the science GPA for AACOMAS applications. As for replacing grades, your grade will count for replacement if the credit hours are equal to or greater than the previous credit hours that you did poorly in.

So when they calculate your gpa and you earn an A in biology for 5 credits, and took a 3 credit hour biology and got a C, and a 4 credit hour biology and got a C previously for example, and are all first level courses, would the credits and grades be elliminated from the calculation for the first 2 attempts, or would grades of A be put in for both courses, which would in fact raise the GPA much more than taking out the previous courses from the calulation? I am assuming that you could have taken a course a third time, I still don't know if this is allowed, as I did that with calculus 1.

So when they calculate your gpa and you earn an A in biology for 5 credits, and took a 3 credit hour biology and got a C, and a 4 credit hour biology and got a C previously for example, and are all first level courses, would the credits and grades be elliminated from the calculation for the first 2 attempts, or would grades of A be put in for both courses, which would in fact raise the GPA much more than taking out the previous courses from the calulation? I am assuming that you could have taken a course a third time, I still don't know if this is allowed, as I did that with calculus 1.

If they are generally the same class then the answer to your question is yes. The last attempt will be what is used in the GPA calculation. As I understand it you can take the class as many times (not sure how that would look to adcoms), but just understand that the most recent grade counts towards GPA calculation and not the better grade.

One last comment about recalculating that I was trying to ask before:

Which do they do with your gpa?

Method 1:
Fall 2007
Bio 110 4 C New Grade A
His 100 3 B

Spring 2007
Bio 110 4 C New Grade A

Summer 2008
Bio 110 4 A

Total credits: 15
Quality points: 57
GPA: 3.8

or Method 2:
Fall 2007
Bio 110 4 C Grade Deleted
His 100 3 B

Spring 2007

Summer 2008
Bio 110 4 A

Total credits: 7
Quality points: 25
GPA: 3.571

One last comment about recalculating that I was trying to ask before:

Which do they do with your gpa?

Method 1:
Fall 2007
Bio 110 4 C New Grade A
His 100 3 B

Spring 2007
Bio 110 4 C New Grade A

Summer 2008
Bio 110 4 A

Total credits: 15
Quality points: 57
GPA: 3.8

or Method 2:
Fall 2007
His 100 3 B

Spring 2007

Summer 2008
Bio 110 4 A

Total credits: 7
Quality points: 25
GPA: 3.571

Method 2. Just remember that the grade isn't deleted, Adcoms can see those grades it just won't be factored into your GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes it will.

but does the course title have to exactly match the course title at the previous college? for example I was planning to retake speech 100. at one college it's called spch 100 human communication, and at the other spch 100 public speaking. Also, I was planning to retake trig. At my old college it's called math 142 cypress, and at the new one it's called math 142 fullerton. they are both labled differently to indicate which college they were took at.

Last edited:
As long as the course description of the course is similar, I'm sure it will count as a retake. The course that you retake must have equal or greater number of credits than the first course. So you don't really have to take both genetics classes in order to replace the first, just make sure that the replacement grade is better than the first. If you still have questions, email or call AACOMAS for further clarification.

If the course title is similar, they probably won't ask any questions. If the course sounds very different but is essentially the same, mark it as a retake and know that there's a possibility AACOMAS will ask you for an official course description to verify it's the same. But if you're really worried about wasting your time retaking a course that has a very different name than the first attempt, take Punk's advice and contact AACOMAS. :thumbup:

Just found that that I can actually repeat any class at the community college that I am attending. However, if the first score was C or higher, I wouldn't get credit for repeating it and it won't be calculated into my gpa, but I would still get a letter grade for it.

My question is: since I will be receiving a letter grade for the class I am intending to repeat, does aacom care whether the class is calculated in my undergrad gpa or not? or do they do their own calculation of gpa based on what classes, units, and letter grades on the transcript?

Just found that that I can actually repeat any class at the community college that I am attending. However, if the first score was C or higher, I wouldn't get credit for repeating it and it won't be calculated into my gpa, but I would still get a letter grade for it.

My question is: since I will be receiving a letter grade for the class I am intending to repeat, does aacom care whether the class is calculated in my undergrad gpa or not? or do they do their own calculation of gpa based on what classes, units, and letter grades on the transcript?

Yes; AACOMAS calculates their own GPA regardless of what your transcript states.

Math is not calculated in the science GPA for AACOMAS applications. As for replacing grades, your grade will count for replacement if the credit hours are equal to or greater than the previous credit hours that you did poorly in.

Wow are you certain that's true? I took Calculus at a university where it was a 5 credit hour class and did bad in it, and I re-took it at the university I currently attend and it's a 4 credit hour class. I sure hope that will replace the grade! If not I am fairly hopeless because Calculus isn't the only class I am re-taking where I'm running into similar scenarios. Same exact subject matter and course, just different, usually less, credit hours.

Wow are you certain that's true? I took Calculus at a university where it was a 5 credit hour class and did bad in it, and I re-took it at the university I currently attend and it's a 4 credit hour class. I sure hope that will replace the grade! If not I am fairly hopeless because Calculus isn't the only class I am re-taking where I'm running into similar scenarios. Same exact subject matter and course, just different, usually less, credit hours.

The good news: Math is not calculated in your AACOMAS sciGPA.

The bad news: Someone asked AACOMAS explicitly about the credit hour policy earlier in the cycle and was told that the credit hours of the retake needed to be >= the initial attempt.

Why don't you call them today and confirm this. Let us know what they say, please.

I hope the news is in your favor. :xf:

I have retaken a mix of science, math, and humanities courses (psychology, history, lifespan development) and was accepted into LECOM-Erie in December. All in all, I have retaken about 10 classes

The good news: Math is not calculated in your AACOMAS sciGPA.

The bad news: Someone asked AACOMAS explicitly about the credit hour policy earlier in the cycle and was told that the credit hours of the retake needed to be >= the initial attempt.

Why don't you call them today and confirm this. Let us know what they say, please.

I hope the news is in your favor. :xf:

Unfortunately for me I will have 3 F's and a D if re-taking doesn't work out. I've based my hope on this re-take policy, I'll be crushed if I find out this is true. I called but their office is apparently closed. I'm going to leave a voice message and send them an e-mail. I'm guessing I won't hear from them until at least Monday so I'll let you guys know what I hear. If anyone else has information regarding this please post. Thanks for your kind wishes... I'm hoping the same :scared:

Last edited:
Hey guys sorry for not checking back in, I did recieve an e-mail back from them and it was contradictory in a way but it seems like the final answer on behalf of aacomas is...

[email protected] to me

Yes, you can use those courses to repeat the first set of courses as long as the credit hours are the same or more.

Contradictory because I made it crystal clear what my situation was in my e-mail yet they tell me yes I can use those courses for repeat, when obviously according to the latter half of their response I cannot use those courses for grade replacement. It's really annoying sometimes how medical school admissions and those who run these types of applications sometimes don't even seem to read your e-mail, they just scan it and spit out whatever answer seems appropriate enough. I guess they're just too busy. Anyways, answer seems clear enough. I wrote a response wanting them to clarify with me if I can take those courses or not, but I haven't received a reply. It will sink in for me when they say "no I'm sorry those retakes will not count".

Bad news for me, hope some of you have better out looks. I'm now going to have to resort to applying to some shoddy Caribbean school cause it seems the good ones are decently competitive as well, and with my < 3.0 GPA including retakes outlook is bleak! Good luck everyone

Edit: just for the sake of being clear I hope people do not assume becoming a DO was a back up because of my grades. It truly is something I want after I became educated about it. The fact is the DO application process understands sometimes people go through troubles in their lives and for one reason or another weren't able to do as well as they would've liked. Sometimes you're just too immature but it's in your hands to turn that around and show that you're just as capable as anyone else. I applaud DO schools for being understanding of this.

Last edited:

I took orgo in 1998 and it was a 5 credit course because we had 9 hours of lab per week. Well, nowadays orgo is usually a 4 credit course, so when I retook it this past summer, my 10-year old grade WAS replaced by AACOMAS. I emailed them about it specifically. My case was unique, but they will break that rule if the situation dictates.

I took orgo in 1998 and it was a 5 credit course because we had 9 hours of lab per week. Well, nowadays orgo is usually a 4 credit course, so when I retook it this past summer, my 10-year old grade WAS replaced by AACOMAS. I emailed them about it specifically. My case was unique, but they will break that rule if the situation dictates.

Good to know :thumbup:

I need somebody to let me know if what I'm about to do is ok!:oops:

I read a comment in this thread that if you have a C or higher the school you are attending won't repeat/delete the classes.

I need to improve my science g.p.a. so I'm planning to retake 2 science classes I got C's on. I need to know if AACOMAS would replace these grades for the new ones. And if it changes both my cummulative and my science g.pa.?

I asked if I can retake these classes at my current university where I originally took them, but they are giving me a hard time to retake them:thumbdown:.

will it be ok to repeat these classes at a community college?

Thank you so much for your advices!!!!:)

I read a comment in this thread that if you have a C or higher the school you are attending won't repeat/delete the classes.

This is not the case for *all* undergrad schools.

I need to improve my science g.p.a. so I'm planning to retake 2 science classes I got C's on. I need to know if AACOMAS would replace these grades for the new ones.

If you retake the equivalent courses for >/= the number of credit hours as the original attempt, AACOMAS will replace your original grade with your retake grade. Keep in mind that if you do worse your second time taking the class, the worse grade will be the one they use.

And if it changes both my cummulative and my science g.pa.?

Yes it would change both GPAs.

I asked if I can retake these classes at my current university where I originally took them, but they are giving me a hard time to retake them:thumbdown:.

will it be ok to repeat these classes at a community college?

Yes, it's fine. If you need to retake the courses somewhere else, then do it. I know some applicants have been told by ADCOMs that it is perceived as less rigorous when a student does this, but I really don't think most DO schools will nit-pick to that degree, and if they do, you have a very respectable reason. Do not let this stop you from replacing your grades. :thumbup:

I know some applicants have been told by ADCOMs that it is perceived as less rigorous when a student does this, but I really don't think most DO schools will nit-pick to that degree, and if they do, you have a very respectable reason. :thumbup:

I retook genchem I and II at a JC got B's in both :mad:. My reason is because I wanted to save money and it was closer to my house. I regret that for not retaking them both at my university, now I'm worried for being labeled "less rigorous." would getting a 10+ on PS section show ADCOMs otherwise?

I retook genchem I and II at a JC got B's in both :mad:. My reason is because I wanted to save money and it was closer to my house. I regret that for not retaking them both at my university, now I'm worried for being labeled "less rigorous." would getting a 10+ on PS section show ADCOMs otherwise?

I really wouldn't be worried. And yes, a 10+ would probably shut them up. But seriously, money/distance/restrictive policies are all PERFECTLY ACCEPTABLE reasons to retake courses at a JC.

Don't worry about it. :thumbup:

Thank you so much Chocolate Bear for all your answers. I will be do as you say. You are really a big help for all of us who are pre-ostheo. :) :thumbup:

By "credit hours", do you mean "semester hours"? Sorry, this is a bit confusing to me. I am retaking classes at a community college that goes by a semester system, that I originally took at a UC that goes by a quarter system. I hope AACOMAS accepts the retakes. I have contacted them but it's taking a long time for a reply.
I'm using assist.org to see if the classes are equivalent. However it is still confusing. For example I took the physics series at my UC which is 3 separate courses with 3 labs. The equivalent at my community college is simply 2 courses. The semester hours at the CC is less that the semester hours at my UC. Has anyone had any luck with repeating classes at a junior college that were originally taken at a UC?

By "credit hours", do you mean "semester hours"? Sorry, this is a bit confusing to me. I am retaking classes at a community college that goes by a semester system, that I originally took at a UC that goes by a quarter system. I hope AACOMAS accepts the retakes. I have contacted them but it's taking a long time for a reply.
I'm using assist.org to see if the classes are equivalent. However it is still confusing. For example I took the physics series at my UC which is 3 separate courses with 3 labs. The equivalent at my community college is simply 2 courses. The semester hours at the CC is less that the semester hours at my UC. Has anyone had any luck with repeating classes at a junior college that were originally taken at a UC?
Credit hours / semester hours I'm pretty sure it's the same thing. For example this semester I have a total of 15 credit hours. 3 credits from biochem2, 2 credits from biochem lab, 3 credits from physical chemistry, 3 credits from polisci, and 4 credits from calculus 3.

Now lets say for example calculus 3 is a course I was re-taking. If the first time I took it at a different institution and at that institution calculus 3 was worth 5 credit hours, then my current calculus 3 course which is 4 credit hours will not count because it's essentially worth less in terms of credit hours. I think in your case if the course content of the 3 courses you took at the UC is the exact same as the 2 courses at the community college, but the total amount of credit hours are less at the community college, it will not count. If the 3 courses were each worth 2 credit hours, you end up with a total of 6 hours... now if at the community college each course is 3 credit hours, that totals to 6 also and that should be okay.

Hope that clears it up. You should probably contact them because I haven't really had to deal with changing from quarter systems to semester systems etc

I initially took all of my pre-reqs at once during the same semester, because it was senior year and I wanted to graduate in time, but I had just come up with the brilliant idea I would go to medical school. Ya bad move, I got mostly C's and a D in the bio, chem, and o-chem, and then B's in Physics. I retook all the pre-reqs including labs except orgo2 lab because I already had a B+ in it, and didn't want to deal with the hassle. Anyway this was a few years after the initial bad grades and I got a 4.0 on all of the retakes. I was asked about the original D in orgo2 lecture by one school during an interview and was accepted, other than that my crap grades have not been mentioned in interviews.

Thanks phEight. If what you're saying is true, then the physics series that I retook is useless and was a big waste of my time. It is also a non-calculus based series whereas my original course was a calculus bases series. Based on the fact that the classes I retook are < the original semester hours and the difference in calculus vs. non-calculus course material, grade replacement looks pretty bleak for me. I had originally checked with my some medical colleges. But it looks like they don't know all the details. Sigh. This is disappointing. I'll call aacomas tomorrow just to be sure.

Here's a little inspiration.

I failed Chem 251 (first sequence of three in OChem). I got a D the second time. I took it a third time and got an A. I got a D in Biochem, retook and got an A.

I just matched ortho this past Monday after four years at CCOM.

Here's a little inspiration.

I failed Chem 251 (first sequence of three in OChem). I got a D the second time. I took it a third time and got an A. I got a D in Biochem, retook and got an A.

I just matched ortho this past Monday after four years at CCOM.

Congrats to you, and thanks for sharing!! :D :thumbup:

I actually started laughing when I was looking back through my transcript. Apparently 10 years ago or so I withdrew from downhill skiing not once, but twice! Downhill skiing? Really? I couldnt friggin finish that class???

Also, I retook approximately 10 classes and had at least 14 withdraws. But, I had a huge upward trend for several years and got a 36 on the mcat.

So, if I can get in to two schools with that horrid of a beginning I hope it gives some of you some hope.

Justin

Last edited: