retaking a C+

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

premed_101

Hi,

Why is retaking a class that I got a C+ in frowned upon? If it improves my GPA and understanding for MCAT, why is it so advised against? I have been told by multiple people not to do this, but never a why.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Because the minimum pre-req grade you need is a C (most schools don't accept a C- or lower), and a C+ is higher than a C. You would be better off taking another class and getting an A than taking the same class a second time and getting an A.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

Why is retaking a class that I got a C+ in frowned upon? If it improves my GPA and understanding for MCAT, why is it so advised against? I have been told by multiple people not to do this, but never a why.

Thanks!
Good rule of thumb I've been taught is that a solid C and up shouldn't be repeated, as that seems to be the minimum grade for prereqs that schools overall have stated that they'll accept. If you get a C+ in freshman bio 101, take the next class in the series, or an upper div bio class. Yeah you could repeat bio 101, but it's expected that you'd do well the second time around...what's more impressive is doing well in the subsequent class whether in a series or as an upper div course.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

Thanks!

I got a C- in Chem freshman year, I thought about retaking but everyone told me not to since all my other grades were As and Bs. Basically by taking a higher level science and doing well you prove you know the material and faltered in that one class for whatever reason. Additionally whatever your weak grades are, if you kick butt on the mcat - it won't matter. At least for me that one bad grade didn't matter.

If you retake your C+, and get anything less than an A it will look bad. You have already seen all the material and should easily get an A, so even an A- the 2nd time around can look bad.

If you take a different class and get an A-, no questions will be asked.

I think its case by case. I did both. I got a C+ in biochem 1, took biochem 2 and got an A-. In interviews if the interviewer asked if there was anything I wanted to explain on my transcript, I brought up how I was overloaded that semester, mom was sick, etc and then how the next semester I re prioritized, learned from my mistakes, and earned an A- AND took the class as an honors course.

But I also retook gen chem my senior year. I got a B- in it as a freshman, had extra credit space, and there wasn't another upper level class that worked with my schedule. It was an easy easy easy A but no one seemed to question or care about it. Got into both MD and DO schools so I don't think it hurt me.

All that to say, if you're able to crush a different upper level, do it. If you dont have time/cant fit one into your schedule/and its the ONLY class you're retaking, go for it. I dont think it'll kill you. If you've already retaken one or more courses, probably not the finest idea.