Retaking a class I already took?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lollygag

I'm a girl
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Need some advice,
I took a couple years off in my undergrad because I decided to join the national guard. The training for my job in the army was a bit longer and between enlisting waiting to ship off and training I ended up having a 2 year gap. I took intermediate algebra and precalculus in undergrad before I left. My algebra class was a joke, and my precalculus teacher got cancer half way through the semester and made all our exams open book. I learned very little in both of these classes.

I come back 2 years later and tried studying for the MCAT, and I feel totally and completely stuck when it comes to the calculations. I'm taking a physics based Astronomy class and I'm drowning in it. Im doing extremely well in my anatomy class, actually have above a 98 average and my other class I'm doing great in too. But things that involve basic math skills lol I'm dying.
Realized I have to push back my MCAT date obviously but I feel like my lack of math skills is killing me.

I was thinking about retaking intermediate algebra at my school. I realize this does little for MD schools and my application as they don't do grade replacement, but I feel I really need the structure of a math class and a professor that can answer my questions. I'm not retaking it for medical school, I want to retake it for myself.

I realize that I could try to reteach myself but I know I would learn so much better if I had an actual teacher in a structured class where I'm tested every few weeks on what I should know. I simply learn best in that kind of environment.

Thanks in advance for the help! I really don't know what to do

Members don't see this ad.

You don't need to take a class just to have a structured-review of algebra. I recommend having a personal tutor or looking at Khan Academy for such review. A retake just for a refreshment is unnecessary.

And EK and TBR do a pretty good job with the math skills needed for the MCAT.