Retaking A Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreliz26

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

As the end of the semester is nearing it is becoming quite a possibility that I will need to retake gen chem 2. I did rather poorly on my last exam so I need to get around a 90 in order to not have to retake which isn’t impossible but I’m getting worried as my professor is an extremely harsh grader. I was wondering how does it look to med school admissions committees to have to retake a basic science course like general chemistry? Is it better to have a C for the class and not retake it or to get a D+ to a C- and retake it to hopefully get a better grade?

Thanks so much for any insight you could give me and have a happy holidays!

Members don't see this ad.

It is better to get a C and not retake.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
. . . And to get a better grade in subsequent chem classes.

Thanks for your reply! I’m also wondering if I do need to retake would I look bad to take it again over the summer at the college near where I live since I will be going home for the summer?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Is it a four-year college?

I’m not really sure... there are some four year programs for a bachelor’s degree there but the majority is associates degrees so I’m unsure of how it would be counted.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I’m not really sure... there are some four year programs for a bachelor’s degree there but the majority is associates degrees so I’m unsure of how it would be counted.
It sounds like a community college, which has a high chance of requiring less rigor for its classes, and a good chance of not preparing you well for the MCAT. This would not be your best option for retaking the Gen Chem 2 class.

Get a C and don't look back. if you get lower, you HAVE to retake it.

For several reasons in case you’re wondering

1) if you retake, adcoms will expect an A. Anything less wont look good.
2) It’ll give you a nice upwards trend which always looks good. Do your best in your remaining chems and sciences (good luck with Orgo!)
3) you won’t have to retake a class and deal with the pressure of getting an A. You got the credit, so you’re fine and you can move on.
4) Makw sure you review the stuff for the MCAT.