Retaking a course feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JMaxwe11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took intro chemistry 4 years ago at the beginning of my degree and received a C+. It is from my understanding that this is the bare minimum mark a student can have in a required course for a medical school. I was wondering whether I should retake the course, despite having a 3.85 cGPA, and doing well in all of my other premed courses (A's).

In other words, how much of a disadvantage would I be in and do med schools care more about the overall science GPA, or do they look at each course separately?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I have not been accepted, so take my advice with a grain of salt. However, something similar happened to me and I have been told to not worry.

Since it was early in your degree and you did well, I think it won't matter. Even if you retake, then your original grade will still count, unless you apply D.O.. I would cut my losses and move on.

It is a common pre-med delusion that 1-2 bad grades will hurt your competitiveness.

It won't.

Pay attention: IT WON'T.

An interviewer might very well ask you "So Maxwell, your coursework is great except for Intro to Chem. What was up with that?"

That's as far as it will get.

Now quit fussing.

I took intro chemistry 4 years ago at the beginning of my degree and received a C+. It is from my understanding that this is the bare minimum mark a student can have in a required course for a medical school. I was wondering whether I should retake the course, despite having a 3.85 cGPA, and doing well in all of my other premed courses (A's).

In other words, how much of a disadvantage would I be in and do med schools care more about the overall science GPA, or do they look at each course separately?

Thank you.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't bother. If it was a C- I would consider retaking but not a C+.