Retaking a stupid course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hiyalol

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking during my year off to re-take next semester a class I took in school called "Learning Frameworks" for psychology and it's a freshman course. I took this course during my HS years and received a C and wondering if re-taking such a course will look bad since it's an easy GPA booster?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm thinking about re-taking art history....interested in responses..

Why bother?

Unless you need the boost of .o1 points in order to meet the minimum GPA requirement, you can spend your time doing something more productive and meaningful for your application.

The exception would be if it was a core science course like Bio 1/2, Chem 1/2, etc. (can't remember if psych is considered bcpm in AACOMAS or AMCAS). Then again, one retake is still not going to do much to the GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Medical school look at science GPA and cumulitive GPA separetely with an emphasis on the science GPA (since it somewhat standardizes you with others at other colleges). One class may not actually improve your cGPA that much. I would spend that year off doing something substantial like shadowing, volunteering, research, etc.

a single C will not impact your application that much unless you are below a school's auto-reject criteria and raising that to an A will result in being above (unlikely).

so basically don't retake it unless you absolutely have to.