Retaking classes for DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gotcha!

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I had some classes I did horrible in early on (General chemistry, Biology) because of poor study habits (read nonexistent)

My question is, considering I took these classes so many years ago (5 or 6) - would retaking them help me out?
My GPA is hurting mainly because of failing some of these and retaking them and getting a C or something like that.

Ive done better in upper division, not stupendous - but upward trend is there.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I had some classes I did horrible in early on (General chemistry, Biology) because of poor study habits (read nonexistent)

My question is, considering I took these classes so many years ago (5 or 6) - would retaking them help me out?
My GPA is hurting mainly because of failing some of these and retaking them and getting a C or something like that.

Ive done better in upper division, not stupendous - but upward trend is there.
Thanks.

Sure, according to AACOMAS, it could raise your GPA. The way that GPA is calculated per AACOMAS is that only your latest retake is included, the rest is ignored for calculation purposes. However, keep in mind that your prior retakes and grades are still going to be listed. Your GPA might appear better, but at some point during the process, the adcoms are going to take a closer look at your records and notice your poorer past performance. They might inquire about it during an interview; you should be able to address it. Since you originally failed the classes and then performed only adequately upon retaking them, it might seem like you are not a strong student and are not well-versed in the subjects. When you retake your classes for the third time, definitely make sure you get the A.

It's good that you have an upward trend. However, what will really help your case, in addition retaking those classes, is trending A's in advanced undergraduate science classes in several fulltime semesters. You need to show the adcoms, in an evidence-based manner, that you are a student that can handle the academic rigors of medical school. Trending A's consistantly and presently is an excellent way to do this.

Good luck.