Retaking Classes post-bac vs. SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hitchhiker13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Second year undergrad here! I'm still working on my degree and will be taking the MCAT next year. The biggest problem I have is that I've gotten C's in all my chem classes. My GPA is low due to a failed attempt at pursuing aerospace engineering. Got C's in calc 2 and 3. I did fine in general physics and biology, but the grades I've gotten in all my chem classes are pretty much crap for medical school. My school doesn't allow retakes so I'd have to go to another school, but the only other good school I can get into doesn't have the degree that I want. That degree is my fall back and something I really want to pursue if medicine doesn't work out or I change my mind. So I was thinking that I should retake those chem classes after I graduate, But because I don't plan on taking a few years off to build my resume with extra currics, I was thinking about using that time to also do a MP or SMP to boost my gpa. I would love some advice on this. D.O school isn't an option. I figure that if its easier to get into D.O school then its definitely not the same as MD.

Members don't see this ad.

Second year undergrad here! I'm still working on my degree and will be taking the MCAT next year. The biggest problem I have is that I've gotten C's in all my chem classes. My GPA is low due to a failed attempt at pursuing aerospace engineering. Got C's in calc 2 and 3. I did fine in general physics and biology, but the grades I've gotten in all my chem classes are pretty much crap for medical school. My school doesn't allow retakes so I'd have to go to another school, but the only other good school I can get into doesn't have the degree that I want. That degree is my fall back and something I really want to pursue if medicine doesn't work out or I change my mind. So I was thinking that I should retake those chem classes after I graduate, But because I don't plan on taking a few years off to build my resume with extra currics, I was thinking about using that time to also do a MP or SMP to boost my gpa. I would love some advice on this. D.O school isn't an option. I figure that if its easier to get into D.O school then its definitely not the same as MD.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like you're in a position to make this decision.

Did you get straight C's in general and organic chemistry, or just general chemistry? The former you can probably recover from, the latter will seriously hurt your chances.

Have you figured out why you weren't able to succeed? You need to figure that first, because not acing post bacc work and/or an SMP will be the nail in the coffin for you.

first off, what's your GPA - cumulative GPA & BCPM (= science) GPA?

when you say chem, do you mean gen chem? I knew someone who got in MD with C's in gen chem, but his overall GPA was still pretty good (3.5ish) and he had a good MCAT score. so if the C's are just in gen chem you can definitely recover from that, but if they are in both gen chem and orgo that's another story (as 4 C's will bring your BCPM down a lot)

Members don't see this ad :)

1) First and foremost figure out why you are not getting As before jumping into a formal post-bacc and SMP.

2) I suggest D.O. as an option. If it is not, then there is no point transferring schools because a retake would just be averaged anyway.

3) A masters and SMP does not increase your undergrad GPA. The SMP is a last resort if you can't get your undergrad GPA above the 3.5 mark in one or two years.

4) Don't believe for a second that a DO school is easier than an MD school. The lower GPA is mainly a result of a applicant pool that has lower stats. If DO degree did not have a stigma that society has given it, I bet you the DO applicant pool GPA would be as high as the MD applicant pool GPA.