Retaking Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bruinfan32

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, DO schools allow grades earned during a retaking of a class to replace the origional grade in the class. What I am wondering is if anyone knew if it was better to retake the class immediately after getting the origional grade, or if one should wait until after they have applied and been rejected (assuming one of the reasons for the rejection was a slightly low GPA). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

bruinfan32 said:
As I understand it, DO schools allow grades earned during a retaking of a class to replace the origional grade in the class. What I am wondering is if anyone knew if it was better to retake the class immediately after getting the origional grade, or if one should wait until after they have applied and been rejected (assuming one of the reasons for the rejection was a slightly low GPA). Thanks!

I think it would depend on the number of bad grades and how bad they actually are. If it's a couple of C's I'd go ahead and apply. If you have a lot of C's or maybe worse, I'd save my money and retake the classes and then apply. That's just my 2 cents! ;)

BradenDO said:
I think it would depend on the number of bad grades and how bad they actually are. If it's a couple of C's I'd go ahead and apply. If you have a lot of C's or maybe worse, I'd save my money and retake the classes and then apply. That's just my 2 cents! ;)

Sound advice. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Rob

Members don't see this ad :)
depends on how low your gpa is...and if you have anything lower than a C...i would definately retake..

mikeypo0 said:
depends on how low your gpa is...and if you have anything lower than a C...i would definately retake..

Sigh...that is what is killing my GPA at the moment..a D (that's right, a D) from Spanish I back in 1987. I know I'm going to have to retake it, and I dread it. English and I barely play nicely together, a foreign language--forget about it-eeeek! :scared:

Sooz said:
Sigh...that is what is killing my GPA at the moment..a D (that's right, a D) from Spanish I back in 1987. I know I'm going to have to retake it, and I dread it. English and I barely play nicely together, a foreign language--forget about it-eeeek! :scared:

Have you talked to the school about it? Maybe since it was from '87 they won't care as long as you've done better since then.

what do you call a bad GPA?

Waiting on retaking that class may be a good idea.

Sooz said:

HunterGatherer said:
what do you call a bad GPA?

Waiting on retaking that class may be a good idea.

All of my classes from that school (1986) transfered into (Community College)when I decided to come back a few years ago. My GPA from that school was/is a pretty dismal 2.3. My GPA was 3.0 while getting my AS degree from a CC, and at the university I attend it is now a 3.7 (about 38 hours completed). I worked way too much during my CC education and it hurt my GPA a fair amount, but since being at the University I have gone to working part time and my GPA has been improving ever since. Anyway, since that D will be calculated into my GPA (and my GPA isn't that great from the CC--60 hours mind you) I figure I best retake it and really shoot for something closer to an A or B.