Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Retaking Classes

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by bruinfan32, Dec 10, 2005.

1. bruinfan32

bruinfan32 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

As I understand it, DO schools allow grades earned during a retaking of a class to replace the origional grade in the class. What I am wondering is if anyone knew if it was better to retake the class immediately after getting the origional grade, or if one should wait until after they have applied and been rejected (assuming one of the reasons for the rejection was a slightly low GPA). Thanks!

2. BradenDO

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think it would depend on the number of bad grades and how bad they actually are. If it's a couple of C's I'd go ahead and apply. If you have a lot of C's or maybe worse, I'd save my money and retake the classes and then apply. That's just my 2 cents! ;)

3. CCEMTP2DOC

CCEMTP2DOC Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

Sound advice. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Rob

4. MikeyLu2010

MikeyLu2010 UT Longhorns Alumni
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    depends on how low your gpa is...and if you have anything lower than a C...i would definately retake..

5. Sooz

Sooz Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Sigh...that is what is killing my GPA at the moment..a D (that's right, a D) from Spanish I back in 1987. I know I'm going to have to retake it, and I dread it. English and I barely play nicely together, a foreign language--forget about it-eeeek! :scared:

6. BradenDO

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Have you talked to the school about it? Maybe since it was from '87 they won't care as long as you've done better since then.

7. HunterGatherer

HunterGatherer HunterGatherer
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    what do you call a bad GPA?

Waiting on retaking that class may be a good idea.

8. Sooz

Sooz Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    All of my classes from that school (1986) transfered into (Community College)when I decided to come back a few years ago. My GPA from that school was/is a pretty dismal 2.3. My GPA was 3.0 while getting my AS degree from a CC, and at the university I attend it is now a 3.7 (about 38 hours completed). I worked way too much during my CC education and it hurt my GPA a fair amount, but since being at the University I have gone to working part time and my GPA has been improving ever since. Anyway, since that D will be calculated into my GPA (and my GPA isn't that great from the CC--60 hours mind you) I figure I best retake it and really shoot for something closer to an A or B.