Retaking classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HailMary

My mom thinks I'm cool...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDNers... I'm sitting out this application cycle to get my app together, and I have a question about improving my academic record. I have a GPA of 3.34, and BCPM of around 3.1. My two worst grades are C's in Calc and a Chem Lab, other than that nothing lower than a B. I'd like to improve my grades, but right now a post-bacc is out of the question because I work full-time and can't afford it. It's also impossible to do a post-bacc program in California unless you're an economically or educationally disadvantaged underrepresented minority (maybe not impossible, but definitely difficult). My math class (or the equivalent of it) is offered at the Community College. This would work for me because it's affordable, and they offer it at night so that I could still work. The problem is that UCLA (my undergrad) only lets you retake classes for a new grade if you get a C- or below. So even if I get an A, my GPA will average the two grades. I know this won't help my GPA that much, but is this something that adcoms will look at positively, since I'm making the effort to re-learn material that I did poorly in the first time around? Is it worth it, or are they only looking at the GPA number?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Hailmary,

I somewhat in the same boat, I am completing a Master's in Medical Journalism (because I have an interest in medical writing) as we speak, but plan on taking some science courses at a university (since I was almost a year and a half out of the sciences), hopefully score well (I am shooting for high 30's) on the April 2007 MCAT, and apply to medical school during the 2007-2008 application cycle.

I graduated earlier from University of Illinois at Chicago with a fairly decent science gpa but not decent enough with very similiar stats as yours. Since I took time off from hard science to pursue other interests, I am looking to beef-up my science repretoire by taking a few classes in Immunology and Endocrinology, etc. at Benedictine University come Spring. Also I am hoping that taking extra classes it'll demonstrate that I am compotent in the sciences and further strengthen my science background. I don't see how it hurts taking classes over again if you are strong in other areas as well.

It's somewhat of a long shot for myself I feel at times, but I think in any case with a strong MCAT, EC's, and doing well with current classes, I hope to try and get in somewhere. Good luck to you, hope everything will work out.

HailMary said:
Hey SDNers... I'm sitting out this application cycle to get my app together, and I have a question about improving my academic record. I have a GPA of 3.34, and BCPM of around 3.1. My two worst grades are C's in Calc and a Chem Lab, other than that nothing lower than a B. I'd like to improve my grades, but right now a post-bacc is out of the question because I work full-time and can't afford it. It's also impossible to do a post-bacc program in California unless you're an economically or educationally disadvantaged underrepresented minority (maybe not impossible, but definitely difficult). My math class (or the equivalent of it) is offered at the Community College. This would work for me because it's affordable, and they offer it at night so that I could still work. The problem is that UCLA (my undergrad) only lets you retake classes for a new grade if you get a C- or below. So even if I get an A, my GPA will average the two grades. I know this won't help my GPA that much, but is this something that adcoms will look at positively, since I'm making the effort to re-learn material that I did poorly in the first time around? Is it worth it, or are they only looking at the GPA number?

I don't know for sure, but I have spoken to some adcom members and they advised me to just take more upperdivision courses and do well in those. It sucks to have C's on your transcript, I know, but it probably will help you more to learn something new that may help you in medschool than to retake a course.

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI, USC has a post-bacc program that is open to all backgrounds...but it's expensive.

I would not re-take those classes for 2 reasons: 1. If you get an A at a CC, it might not show much other than the fact that at a CC you are capable of getting A's. 2. If you don't do well, which is possible, you are just hurting your GPA more.

I agree that the best route is to take some different classes wherever you can. Try to pick some that are difficult and impressive but will also allow you to get no less than an A.

This is not relevant to the OP, but FYI, it wouldn't matter what your grades are as far as med school admissions are concerned because you cannot replace grades on AMCAS... even if it is "replaced" by your undergrad university.

California is pretty competitive. Assuming you have an average matriculant MCAT (~29, 30), then just reapply to more school and more broadly and I'm sure you'll get a few interviews. Going to a CC won't be worth the time, effort, or money for the reasons Zoom-Zoom pointed out.

Hey just for general knowledge, USC's post bacc program is only open to people who have never taken any science pre-reqs or applied to med school. So it's geared toward career-changers or people who have graduated and majored in something completely different.