retaking courses at JC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gqfang

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I took the following courses(all without labs)at UCSD, which is a quarter school.

Gen Chem 1,2,3
OChem 1,2
Physics 2A,B,C
Biology 1,2
and didn't get a grade lower than an A-.

The problem is that I need labs to apply to med school and I have graduated already, so I plan to retake all of these in community college with labs. Would med school look at me negatively for retaking these again in JC? Also would the grades I got from UCSD still count when I apply?

Thank you!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the reply! I have tried to take the courses at UCSD, but they say you can't enrolled if you are not a UCSD student, unless it is a summer term.

UCSD only has 1 quarter of gen chem lab, and 2 quarters of ochem lab. Some med schools won't accept only 1 quarter or 2 quarters worth of labs(they want to see a year full). In addition, UCSD undergrad bio courses have no lab associated with them as well, and med schools want to see a year worth of labs.

Thanks for the reply! I have tried to take the courses at UCSD, but they say you can't enrolled if you are not a UCSD student, unless it is a summer term.

UCSD only has 1 quarter of gen chem lab, and 2 quarters of ochem lab. Some med schools won't accept only 1 quarter or 2 quarters worth of labs(they want to see a year full). In addition, UCSD undergrad bio courses have no lab associated with them as well, and med schools want to see a year worth of labs.

This seems really odd... how do most UCSD students apply to med school then?

For ochem, 2 quarters of lab is standard. In a quarter system, you usually don't start ochem lab until second quarter.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that it's not worth your time to retake the lecture sections of the courses if you can at all help it. Because they're just labs, I would actually say just try and take them (without lectures) anywhere you can. I wouldn't think taking labs at a CC simply to fulfill the lab requirements after you've already graduated would be very significant.

i am not 100% sure because I am out of UCSD already so I don't know exactly. but that's what I was told after calling couple of california med school admissions.

General bio doesn't have labs, very true, but that's why you take upper division labs. There are plenty of upper division bio labs that you could do. One upper div bio lab should be sufficient for most med schools. UCSD's labs crunch in a year worth of lab into a quarter.

For the few med schools that want to see a year worth of bio lab, no matter what, just take two more labs for bio.

This seems really odd... how do most UCSD students apply to med school then?

For ochem, 2 quarters of lab is standard. In a quarter system, you usually don't start ochem lab until second quarter.

UCSD med students usually apply with one quarter of ochem lab (Chem 143A) and one quarter of upper division bio lab.

With that said, UCSD's own med school does not require labs at all. Perhaps it's to go around this strange lab translation at UCSD.

Thanks a lot for the comments everyone! I will definitely think about all the options.:)