Retaking old MCAT with good score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dipsybonner

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm reapplying this cycle with an MCAT from September 2021 (525), but have realized now that many schools would not accept it: importantly for me USC, Kaiser, UCSF. I'm debating the pros and cons of a late retake in July, with a score release in August 2024. I'm worried about a lower score hurting my application for schools that I can already apply to.

My thoughts are that if I submit my secondary before score release, my application could be reviewed as complete for some schools. Then I could add and submit the secondaries for schools that need an updated MCAT after the score release. Not sure how adding a pending future MCAT score to my primary would change things, I would prefer to not be delayed by schools that don't need a new score. Anyone have any ideas, is there a best of both worlds?

Schools that I would apply to with a new MCAT: UCSF, Kaiser, USC, NYU, Northwestern, Mayo, UMich, UW, UNC, OSU, Albert Einstein, Colorado, UMiami, Brown, Dartmouth.
More about me in this thread: WAMC/School List: 525 / 3.99 cGPA / 3.96 sGPA / CA resident / re-applicant

Of note, I don't mind taking the MCAT again (I would if it is beneficial) but not sure if I can score as well.

Appreciate any help or suggestions!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I'm reapplying this cycle with an MCAT from September 2021 (525), but have realized now that many schools would not accept it: importantly for me USC, Kaiser, UCSF. I'm debating the pros and cons of a late retake in July, with a score release in August 2024. I'm worried about a lower score hurting my application for schools that I can already apply to.

My thoughts are that if I submit my secondary before score release, my application could be reviewed as complete for some schools. Then I could add and submit the secondaries for schools that need an updated MCAT after the score release. Not sure how adding a pending future MCAT score to my primary would change things, I would prefer to not be delayed by schools that don't need a new score. Anyone have any ideas, is there a best of both worlds?

Schools that I would apply to with a new MCAT: UCSF, Kaiser, USC, NYU, Northwestern, Mayo, UMich, UW, UNC, OSU, Albert Einstein, Colorado, UMiami, Brown, Dartmouth.
More about me in this thread: WAMC/School List: 525 / 3.99 cGPA / 3.96 sGPA / CA resident / re-applicant

Of note, I don't mind taking the MCAT again (I would if it is beneficial) but not sure if I can score as well.

Appreciate any help or suggestions!
Many of the TMDSAS schools will accept an MCAT score up to 5 years old.
If you are still set on applying to the AMCAS schools you listed, you are going to have to tell them you are retaking your test eventually.
I think it would be better to have a pending test date on there, than to risk being tossed aside due to an expired MCAT score.

Reactions: 1 users
What is your question? Where's the dilemma?

If you apply to schools that count your MCAT as expired, you will be incomplete there until your new MCAT arrives. You must take a new MCAT, or else don't apply there.

Schools that don't expire your old score will see you as complete. Then they will receive your new score during app review.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What is your question? Where's the dilemma?

If you apply to schools that count your MCAT as expired, you will be incomplete there until your new MCAT arrives. You must take a new MCAT, or else don't apply there.

Schools that don't expire your old score will see you as complete. Then they will receive your new score during app review.
I guess my question is how likely my application can be reviewed before the score release on August 27. The goal is to use my old score for schools that accept it, and the new score for schools that need a retake. I was thinking to not submit my primary to schools that need a new score until score release in August, and to not put a future test date so schools won't wait. If a new score will hurt my chances with schools I can already apply to, I would not retake.

If a new score will hurt my chances with schools I can already apply to, I would not retake.
You're protecting against the possibility of bombing the test. Why this risk avoidance? Are you not planning to study? You got a 525--be confident. OTOH, if you already have an excellent school list comprised of non-retake schools, then I would say a retake isn't worth the hassle. Up to you to decide the weight of each option.

Reactions: 2 users
You're protecting against the possibility of bombing the test. Why this risk avoidance? Are you not planning to study? You got a 525--be confident. OTOH, if you already have an excellent school list comprised of non-retake schools, then I would say a retake isn't worth the hassle. Up to you to decide the weight of each option.
I agree it seems like a personal decision. The difficulty for me is weighing the risk of scoring something like a 515 or lower. I'm not sure how negatively this would affect the non-retake schools, and it's unclear even how competitive I would be for the retake schools that I would want to apply to. If it comes down to needing a >520 on the retake for it to be a net positive, I could see how my FL averages look and decide then, but I'm also not sure how being 3 years out from classes is going to affect my score potential.

I was thinking to not submit my primary to schools that need a new score until score release in August, and to not put a future test date so schools won't wait.
Waiting until August 27 to transmit your primary to the top schools that require a retake seems a little risky. That’s over three months into the application cycle. It’s probably better to just mark as pending and submit to all schools at once.

Reactions: 1 user