Retaking courses that I failed in community college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maddie422

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just recently decided to go premed but I've always been interested in health care. I'm a sophomore in college and I've spent the last two years at a community college. My grades up until this semester had me at a 3.40 GPA, not bad but not great. I'm transferring to a university in the fall. I have a lot of financial responsibilities so sometimes my balance between work and school can be tough. I just ended the semester and I did very poorly...I received 2 F's, 1 D, and a C. This because my mom and I are going through foreclosure and bankruptcy. We were told we had a year left in our house but things quickly changed and we have to be out very soon now. I was doing great until midterms...But I was forced to pick up more shifts at work so my mom and I will have enough money to move somewhere else. Fortunately, things are looking like they will be a lot easier after our foreclosure and bankruptcy is completed in January. It will be a fresh start for us and my mom is thankfully starting a new job that won't require me to work so much so I can focus on school.

I'm planning on retaking the courses that I received the F's and D's in next semester and I'm very sure that I can get A's in them (they're just gen eds). I'm confused about how GPA is calculated when you apply to med school. Obviously they are going to take my cumulative GPA that include grades from my community college and university. At undergrad colleges, if you retake a course and get a better grade than you did originally, the old grade no longer affects your GPA and the new/better one replaces it. Is this how it works for applying to med schools too? Or do they calculate all grades on your transcript?

Thanks in advanced for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

All grades are calculated in.

Sorry to hear you're going through this. I've lived through similar.

Sent from my SCH-R910 using SDN Mobile

For MD schools, they will factor in the Fs, Ds, and Cs even if you retake them. Doesn't matter what the school does. For DO schools, they will look at the most recent grade so retakes benefit you greatly. But even for MD, one semester likely wont break you if you turn it around.