retaking courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dopremed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a Canadian pre-med (d.o.) student, and currently having some confusion regarding the equivalency of the courses I took and the ones I am planning on retaking. I called AACOMAS and I was advised to talk to a pre-med advisor? But we do not have such an advisor in my school. Who else should I talk to?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I am planning on retaking some courses. For example, I took general chemistry at a university in 2009, and now I want to retake this course, but at a different university, I am just wondering do I need to have proof that the course I will be taking is equivalent to the course I took when I enter the coursework on my app?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am just afraid that they argue they are not equivalent. You know different schools offer same class but the content may be a little different. And they have different names and course code. I just hope it's OK to take the course at a different school.

It's perfectly fine to take it at a different school. Just make sure the retake is worth the same amount of units or more, the titles are similar, and the content descriptions are similar. I retook biochem. At my undergrad, it was under the biology department, worth 3 units, and called something like "biochemistry of lipids and carbohydrates." At my post-bacc school, it was under the chemistry department, worth 4 units, and called "general biochemistry 1." I had no issues with using it as a retake.

I am just afraid that they argue they are not equivalent. You know different schools offer same class but the content may be a little different. And they have different names and course code. I just hope it's OK to take the course at a different school.
I did it. Just make sure that the credits in your new course are at least as many as in your old course.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much for the inputs, guys!

Reactions: 1 user