1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
Hey, Guest, do you know how much will it cost you to apply to medical school? Check out SDN's Medical School Application Cost Calculator and plan your budget.

retaking courses

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by dopremed, Sep 19, 2014.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. dopremed

dopremed

Sep 9, 2014
    Hello,

I am a Canadian pre-med (d.o.) student, and currently having some confusion regarding the equivalency of the courses I took and the ones I am planning on retaking. I called AACOMAS and I was advised to talk to a pre-med advisor? But we do not have such an advisor in my school. Who else should I talk to?

Thanks in advance!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. AlteredScale

AlteredScale SDN Moderator 2+ Year Member

May 10, 2013
    Step 1 Study Cave
    Can you further explain your predicament? There are many on here who can provide tips as well since you do not have a pre-med advisor.

4. dopremed

dopremed

Sep 9, 2014
    I am planning on retaking some courses. For example, I took general chemistry at a university in 2009, and now I want to retake this course, but at a different university, I am just wondering do I need to have proof that the course I will be taking is equivalent to the course I took when I enter the coursework on my app?

5. AlteredScale

AlteredScale SDN Moderator 2+ Year Member

May 10, 2013
    Step 1 Study Cave
    If it's the same credit amount between each university it should be completely fine. Weird that AACOMAS would refer you out to a pre-med advisor.

6. dopremed

dopremed

Sep 9, 2014
    I am just afraid that they argue they are not equivalent. You know different schools offer same class but the content may be a little different. And they have different names and course code. I just hope it's OK to take the course at a different school.

7. dkt888

dkt888 2+ Year Member

Jun 11, 2014
    It's perfectly fine to take it at a different school. Just make sure the retake is worth the same amount of units or more, the titles are similar, and the content descriptions are similar. I retook biochem. At my undergrad, it was under the biology department, worth 3 units, and called something like "biochemistry of lipids and carbohydrates." At my post-bacc school, it was under the chemistry department, worth 4 units, and called "general biochemistry 1." I had no issues with using it as a retake.

8. GUH

GUH Underdawg 7+ Year Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Western US
    I did it. Just make sure that the credits in your new course are at least as many as in your old course.

AlteredScale likes this.
  9. dopremed

dopremed

Sep 9, 2014
    Thank you so much for the inputs, guys!

AlteredScale likes this.