Retaking DAT, need advice for BIO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mprs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

wrote the DAT last summer (break down in my sig) and here were the results:

PAT........... 22 (93.4%)
QR ............ 19 (91.2%)
RC ............ 22 (84.4%)
BIO........... 18 (63.9%)
GChem........ 23 (95.4%)
OChem....... 21 (85.7%)
TS............. 20 (85.2%)
AA............. 21 (93.4%)

As you can see, didn't do too well in biology and I'm looking to improve on it. It is a good overall score, but I'm an international applicant and my GPA isn't that great, so I need all the help I can get.

Anyway, I've been thinking if I should get Campbell's or just study cliffs/barrons more vigorously. My test is on the 29th of June (about 2 months), and I'm not sure if I can review the other sections if I were to do a good job with bio using campbells.

As a side question, does it matter which Campbell version I use? I know there are basically no differences aside from formatting, but I would feel more comfortable using the book that the ADA specifically uses.

Anyway thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

well... what did you use the first time for biology?

Another thing to consider is, and I know this isn't directly what your asking.... but I think its easier to master GC and Orgo (like 25+ on each) than to master biology.... Strategically speaking, you might wanna reconsider dumping all that time into biology and campbells and instead, focus 80% of your science preparation into the 2 chemistries.... If its a high score your looking for, two very high GC and Orgo scores will bring the AA and TS higher than single Biology would.

As far as biology goes, if your hellbent on studying campbells... any version printed within the last 5-6 years is fine. These texts don't change by much.

Here is 8th edition for $37
http://cgi.ebay.com/Biology-Campbel...083?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book&hash=item564395a14b

Here is 7th edition for alot less
http://cgi.ebay.com/Biology-Jane-B-...1?pt=US_Texbook_Education&hash=item2c5c2931e1

I used a combination of Kaplan's Blue book, Cliffs, and Barrons. I think it was just that I was not prepared for the randomness that is biology. My original plan is to focus really heavily on bio but I think I should probably go like 40/40/20 for bio/gen/org. I would consider a bio mark of under 20 unsuccessful considering my overall previous score. arhgiuhguh :( so frustrating

anyway thank you so much for the advice. If its just $40, then it will be worth it even if it is a reference for certain topics.

Another thing to consider is, and I know this isn't directly what your asking.... but I think its easier to master GC and Orgo (like 25+ on each) than to master biology.... Strategically speaking, you might wanna reconsider dumping all that time into biology and campbells and instead, focus 80% of your science preparation into the 2 chemistries.... If its a high score your looking for, two very high GC and Orgo scores will bring the AA and TS higher than single Biology would.

As far as biology goes, if your hellbent on studying campbells... any version printed within the last 5-6 years is fine. These texts don't change by much.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Biology-Campbel...083?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book&hash=item564395a14b

http://cgi.ebay.com/Biology-Jane-B-...1?pt=US_Texbook_Education&hash=item2c5c2931e1

Dentalworks you are so amazing!! I love to see your threads because you are just so encouraging. I feel like u, h20 and vitamin are the SDN hollywood stars. Thank you so much and you will definitely continue to hear from me. I have so many questions for u but I just don't know were to start. Im using Chad's to master my chems but doing it very slowly due to the fact I lose my concentration alot so its taking me alot longer. Im just scared on not mastering them maybe its called intimidation. But when I see ur threads u totally inspire me. Thank u, dentalworks!!!!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

GChem........ 23 (95.4%)
OChem....... 21 (85.7%)

As you can see, didn't do too well in biology and I'm looking to improve on it. It is a good overall score, but I'm an international applicant and my GPA isn't that great, so I need all the help I can get.

Anyway, I've been thinking if I should get Campbell's or just study cliffs/barrons more vigorously. My test is on the 29th of June (about 2 months), and I'm not sure if I can review the other sections if I were to do a good job with bio using campbells.

As a side question, does it matter which Campbell version I use? I know there are basically no differences aside from formatting, but I would feel more comfortable using the book that the ADA specifically uses.

Well becuase biology is so random, I would suggest you head over to datqvault.com, they have a lot of biology questions, and they break down what sections you are doing well on and what sections you need to improve on, take their diagnostic tests and let that help guide your studying. Also when you are doing biology practice tests create a word document and type out every question you got wrong, and then the next day go over those questions and concepts, and keep reviewing them periodically until you think you have them down.

Good Luck

Jon

Hey guys,

GChem........ 23 (95.4%)
OChem....... 21 (85.7%)

did these scores not get you in??? seems pretty solid.. what is your gpa??? did you apply last cycle?