retaking GRE general

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmonte4

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok, i'm retaking the GRE on wednesday and I have a question. What if I score lower?? How's this sound- when you finish taking the GRE it asks if you would like to report your score. If you choose no, you never get to see your score. If you choose yes, you are then able to enter 4 schools that your scores will be sent to. What if I were to choose yes, but not enter any schools. That way I would know my score, and then if I choose to, I could send my score to schools at a later date. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

It's my understanding that all your scores would still be reported, and you would have to pay the extra $60 rather than get them for "free" with your test fee. It's obviously up to you, but this could be an additional and un-needed expense if you do well on the test. Good luck!

joetro said:
It's my understanding that all your scores would still be reported, and you would have to pay the extra $60 rather than get them for "free" with your test fee. It's obviously up to you, but this could be an additional and un-needed expense if you do well on the test. Good luck!

How would they report your score if you never give them the schools to send to? It seems like a way to avoid the school seeing a lower score.

Members don't see this ad :)
mmonte4 said:
How would they report your score if you never give them the schools to send to? It seems like a way to avoid the school seeing a lower score.
If you've had your scores sent to schools already, they won't resend your new test score unless you request to have it sent. However, any scores you have sent after you take it the second time will have both scores on it.

Deslok said:
If you've had your scores sent to schools already, they won't resend your new test score unless you request to have it sent. However, any scores you have sent after you take it the second time will have both scores on it.

so if you send your third test scores, they will see both your 2nd and 3rd?

The GRE score report is cumulative: the schools will see all tests taken within the past 5 years. Each school has a different policy on which scores they will use: some will only consider the most recent, some will take the highest from each section, and others will average out the scores from each section.

mmonte4 said:
so if you send your third test scores, they will see both your 2nd and 3rd?
Yes... and your 1st.