Retaking MCAT and application - strategy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Caliver

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently planning to retake my MCAT (currently:14/9/13Q) on June 21st because my verbal score does not meet cutoffs at Canadian schools. I have heard that my MCAT score is actually good for American schools, but I feel I should retake it.
I know that I will be late with AMCAS application since my MCAT retake score won't come in until late July. But given my previous attempt, do schools give out interview invites or secondary applications to me before the score gets released?

As well, I heard that someone retook their MCAT in August, but only e-mailed Adcoms after a while that they were retaking MCAT for some reason. By then, they scored several invites. Is this a viable strategy?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it's viable. There is a very similar post to yours on the front page (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=916233). Even if you don't notify the schools that you plan to retake, they will see your registration and will automatically find out that you're retaking (AAMC and AMCAS are closely intertwined, it seems...). I would just apply with your scores anyway, and I would never have even considered a retake at your scores. I would never retake a 36 even if it is slightly unbalanced. A 36 puts you in the top 3.8% of MCAT test takers nationwide. You have a very strong possibility of doing worse if you retake it.

Would it be too late to be complete by the time my MCAT results come around (Late July)? I am planning to do the MCAT + primary at the same time.

Okay. I will do that.
Thank you so much :)