Retaking MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MacyJay

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I took my MCAT June 1st and I got: chem/cars/bio/psych (130/122/129/128)
total: 509

This is very surprising to me because these are my practice exam scores:
AAMC FL1 510 (128/126/128/128)
AAMC FL2 509 (128/125/128/128)
AAMC FL3 512 (130/125/130/127)
AAMC FL4 511 (130/125/129/127)

I emailed multiple medical schools and they said I wouldn't have any chance of acceptance even with my 4.00 GPA in BME (BS & MS), high research experience (1 Co-Author publication and 1 First author publication soon)

I registered for a new MCAT on September 1st to still have a chance at this cycle (2 deans recommended me to do that). My goals are to get into NJMS or RWJ.

My recent Next Step MCAT Scores from the past 3 weeks are:
FL1: 513 (130/126/128/129)
FL2: 513 (129/126/129/129)
FL3: 510 (129/125/129/127)
FL4: 510 (128/125/129/128)

I have been reading online that Next step CARS is not representative of the actual MCAT which scares me. The lower scores are actually inflated while the higher scores are deflated. CARS has always been my kryptonite.

Any advice on what I should do? I think I can improve my psych scores a bit my doing some more review. I cant say I feel much more prepared than I did when I took the MCAT originally. I work full time in industry to pay off my college debt.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a New Jersey resident. I already submitted my primary application to NJMS and RWJ a week before I received my MCAT scores. I should be done with my secondary application within a week. Not sure if I am too late.

I was delayed with all this work because I had surgery 2 weeks ago. Got to love my luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Employment Hours in Biotech Company: 2000 hr (expected for a year)
Oncology Shadowing: 40 hr (2018); Most meaningful experience in application
NASA Research Fellowship: 480 hr
College Research Fellowship: 250 hr
Research Lab: 3500 hr + 250 hr +250 hr (3 different labs); Most meaningful experience in application
SCI Open House Community Service Volunteer: 20 hr (Gave tours of the lab and answered any questions coming from SCI Patients and their kin. Help organize undergraduate student posters and presentations); Most meaningful experience in application
Hospital Volunteer in ER: 65 hours (2016-2017)
Hospital Volunteer in Pharmacy: 204 hours (2012-2014) (Probably not relevant)
Hospital Volunteer in Front Desk: 123 hours (2012-2012) (Probably not relevant)

Multiple academic awards. Competition finalist in major industry competition.

Class rank: 3 out of 127 in Undergraduate BME

Thank you so much for your help!

I suggest adding all these schools to your application:
Cooper Rowan
Seton Hall
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Albany
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you Faha! I was wondering if those recommendations are based on my current MCAT or MCAT score based on my current practice exam scores?

Also with my current MCAT score do you recommend me to consider DO over MD? My advisers scared me saying I have no chance in MD.

My list is based on your current MCAT score of 509. Apply to a few DO schools also and you have PCOM and Rowan SOM nearby.

Who did you email that told you there is no chance? Based on your stats, you seem just below the average MCAT and within the SD for MD. Your GPA is above the average. I’m confused, something doesn’t add up.

Reactions: 1 users
The smart thing is not to listen to your advisor. The road to medical school is littered with the festering corpses of students who did and found out that the information they'd been given was lousy. The wise LizzyM

I suggest:
Temple
Jefferson
EVMS
Tulane
NYMC
Drexel
Wayne State (maybe)
U Toledo
Seton Hall
Rosy Franklin
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
Loyola
WVU
VCU
U VM
Rush
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Albany
Oakland-B
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Netter
Gtown
GWU
Your state school(s).
Seton Hall
Nova MD
Geisinger (maybe)
Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.

Reactions: 1 user
I wont directly quote, but I emailed 3 admission deans from 3 different schools and they all said they have a minimum score of ~124 for CARS. They recommended me retaking the MCAT ASAP so I can be considered this cycle. My next MCAT is registered for September 1st to try to boost my CARS score to 125-126.

My Medical School Adviser rejected my committee letter request because of my 122 CARS score. He said it would be a waste of time for the department to write me a letter with that low of a score and I should only consider DO schools to save money/effort.

Thank you all for your responses! Honestly I am extremely thankful!