retaking MCATs and getting rejected pre-secondary before new scores released

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweetshauna

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I bombed on the MCATs the last time I took it and I will be re-taking them July 15th- which means that my scores wont be out August 15th.

I was planning to submit my application mid- June, but now Im wondering if my low MCATs may cause me to be rejected pre-secondary since AdComs will only see my old score if they view my primary before Aug 18th. The July scores wont come in before AdComs view my primary application.

Any suggestions on how to strategize my application? Should I send off my applications early (which has its advantages), or should I send it off mid/ late-July so that my schools dont receive my primary before the August score release date? Should I even be worried about pre-screening? Im not even sure which private schools pre-screen and which don't.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

I bombed on the MCATs the last time I took it and I will be re-taking them July 15th- which means that my scores wont be out August 15th.

I was planning to submit my application mid- June, but now Im wondering if my low MCATs may cause me to be rejected pre-secondary since AdComs will only see my old score if they view my primary before Aug 18th. The July scores wont come in before AdComs view my primary application.

Any suggestions on how to strategize my application? Should I send off my applications early (which has its advantages), or should I send it off mid/ late-July so that my schools dont receive my primary before the August score release date? Should I even be worried about pre-screening? Im not even sure which private schools pre-screen and which don't.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot.

The AMCAS will ask if you plan on taking the MCAT again. You will check "yes". AMCAS will hold your application until those scores are received. Your primary won't be released to the medical schools until then. So, you will be a little late (about 1/3-1/2 of all the applicant to that school will be ahead of you) but you won't get knocked out pre-secondary without the benefit of those new MCAT scores.