retaking part1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
take your date and start studying accordingly i guess..

i have just started like two days back..
i am stating books i reffered last time..
lets each one of contribute and add to it..if ull feel somethin tht u had done was helpful n its missing in the list..

kaplan notes for all subjects
dental decks ( i have 2006 07)
question papers
kaplan q bank which i had not done last time but i think they r useful.

any more suggestions?
thanks, hardship. i hav already got acceptance from ada i will be repeating march will start studying very soon. wat abt u hav u started

Members don't see this ad.

hi,
Could anyone help me out ? I had scored a 89 in 2004 and later re-applied to take the examination to improve my scores ( as I was waitlisted everywhere I went ) and due to unexplainable reason could not take the examination ( did not even get to call up for dates) . Can anyone tell me if I am eligible to apply again to take the Part 1/Part 2 ? I am not sure about anything after reading the new regulations . Does anyone know , once we apply for re-examination , our previous scores go null or not ? Please help out . Thank you so much .

dentodream.

i am afraid u missed your chance to have part I again, since you passed part 1 before u cnt reexamine no more (starting jan 1st 2010). But i believe u got a pretty good score there and i think that being waitlisted always have to do with applying little late rather than a low nbde score, you can go for part 2 to increase your chances. Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks hammoudeh for the reply . I hope 89 is still valid , despite me applying for the exam again last year but did not attend . thank you so much .

i am afraid u missed your chance to have part I again, since you passed part 1 before u cnt reexamine no more (starting jan 1st 2010). But i believe u got a pretty good score there and i think that being waitlisted always have to do with applying little late rather than a low nbde score, you can go for part 2 to increase your chances. Good luck

Correct me if I am wrong, but NBDE score is only valid for 5 years. Im afraid the OP might have to retake the exam. It's a shame since 89 is a really good score.

hi toothfairy ,
I too have heard that , it is valid for 5 yrs only . I will anyways check it and see what I can do furthur about it . I too thought 89 was a good score until I got waitlisted everywhere , then they told me to re-take it to make it above 90 :( .

Correct me if I am wrong, but NBDE score is only valid for 5 years. Im afraid the OP might have to retake the exam. It's a shame since 89 is a really good score.

dd.

guys, the nbde part 1 exam has no validity period when it comes to ADA rules, its has a life time validity. The problem is that some schools unfortunately require part 1 to be done within the past 5 years like Upenn, some schools like Boston even require 3 years validity! but for other schools like UTHSCC has no validity period. You have to contact each school seperately to see if they have such a thing. Anyways i think that according to the new 2010 ADA regulations..many schools will have to reconsider these criteria. ur 89 score is still valid dentodream as long as u didnt take the test again.

thanku so much hammoudeh . your reply was such a relief. I also got the same info from ADA that its valid but have to inquire with each school that we are planning to apply . So I need lots of luck there now as I cannot retake the examination now to improve the score . Keeping my fingers crossed .

guys, the nbde part 1 exam has no validity period when it comes to ADA rules, its has a life time validity. The problem is that some schools unfortunately require part 1 to be done within the past 5 years like Upenn, some schools like Boston even require 3 years validity! but for other schools like UTHSCC has no validity period. You have to contact each school seperately to see if they have such a thing. Anyways i think that according to the new 2010 ADA regulations..many schools will have to reconsider these criteria. ur 89 score is still valid dentodream as long as u didnt take the test again.

dentodream, i am glad post was helpful. My case is just like yours. i passed part 1 in 2004 with a score of 93(I couldnt apply to schools and leave to US for family matters). But i registered in 15th of december for a retake cuz i know this validity story for some schools. I registered to be on the safe side, i still dunno if i am gonna go for it or not.. actually i got the material recently for both part 1 and 2, and i dunno which one to start! i'll go for one of them and ONLY one for now..but which one..i have no idea! All the schools that offer advanced standing are like 50/50 when it comes to part 1 validity....any suggestions anyone?

hi hammoudeh .. I can't believe you had such high score and could not apply that time, you would have got in like a breeze , Im sure . I was waitlisted everywhere ( 2 yrs I tried ) and finally they told me to re-take it n improve the score , but many other things happened in life and I could not sit for the exam again until now , which is too late .

But Im sure there is something good in store for you . If you know which schools you want to apply to , please call them up and ask them directly, coz that will help you take the best decision than waiting for others to tell you here . Plz do that asap . I hope you get a good news from them . But your decision to register last year itself is very wise I wud say . I had no idea abt it , my fault . GOOD LUCK hammoudeh :).

dd

dentodream, i am glad post was helpful. My case is just like yours. i passed part 1 in 2004 with a score of 93(I couldnt apply to schools and leave to US for family matters). But i registered in 15th of december for a retake cuz i know this validity story for some schools. I registered to be on the safe side, i still dunno if i am gonna go for it or not.. actually i got the material recently for both part 1 and 2, and i dunno which one to start! i'll go for one of them and ONLY one for now..but which one..i have no idea! All the schools that offer advanced standing are like 50/50 when it comes to part 1 validity....any suggestions anyone?

Dentodream, trust me this is exactly what happened.. i was surfing thru this website on dec 15 and was shocked to read other ppl's posts about the new ADA policy concerning part one, i immediately called the ADA, and after they put me on hold for like 20 mins, they confirmed it, but said that if i register NOW i will have 1 whole year to retake, so i registered the very same day..A mere conincidence that i am not sure if i can classify as good luck or not (Cuz what if i retake and get a bad score?!). Anyway I still cant believe that with this score of urs (89) u got waitlisted for 2 consequetive years, i am sure sth else made a difference, how about ur gpa? ur toefl? were u late in applications? cuz u know every single day counts? ur score is good my friend, its not even way different than mine. Go for part 2, i think both parts with the number of years experience that u've got will be more than enough to get u somewhere u want. Good luck dude

any one here looking for a study partner or interested in sharing stuff and q for NBDE1 pm :)