retaking pre med course at a different college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pappymason

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I've finished my pre med courses but my C in gen chem 1 must be fixed. is it okay to retake the same course at a different institution? my college is quite expensive per credit and I can take the course for half the price at another 4 year institution.

will the new grade be averaged with the "c" in my bcpm gpa?

Members don't see this ad.

My institution only replaces WF's and F's. D's through A's are irreplaceable.
I doubt the AMCAS take the best of two grades since you have to enter all of your grades anyways.

How would this benefit you? Does it replace the 'C' grade if it's higher at the secondary institute upon completion?

i think my school only accepts retakes when there is a failure too. so no it wont replace the "c". i'm actually not entirely sure what would happen so i was hoping for some insight from someone whose been in a similar position as me.

And I would call my school right now to ask about their policy but it's 3:33 am and I can't fall asleep

Hello everyone.

I've finished my pre med courses but my C in gen chem 1 must be fixed. is it okay to retake the same course at a different institution? my college is quite expensive per credit and I can take the course for half the price at another 4 year institution.

will the new grade be averaged with the "c" in my bcpm gpa?

First, is the other institution at an equal or higher "prestige" than your current university? Or is it a local CC? This matters because adcoms won't take your new grade at the CC seriously. Even if the institution is at an equal or higher level, if you're planning on retaking, make sure you can get an A, since it IS a retake and not new material.

Second, why do you even have to retake the C? One C won't really kill your chances. Just do well in your upper division classes and rock the MCAT. Of course it's better to not make these C's a trend, but one is forgiveable.

Third, yes, if you retake the class, the two grades are averaged.