• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.
Apr 19, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
I just graduated undergrad and I have at least 3 pre-req classes that I want to retake for a better grade since I got "C"s in all of them. My community college offers these courses (same course content), but the credit equivalency is not the same. For instance, Bio1 at my university was worth 4 credits and at my CC it's worth 3 credits. Does that matter??

Jun 29, 2015
Status
Physical Therapy Student
it's probably because Bio1 at your university was lecture & lab - hence 3 credits for lecture and 1 for lab. You would need to sign up for Bio1 + the Bio1 Lab at your CC.

Apr 19, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
it's probably because Bio1 at your university was lecture & lab - hence 3 credits for lecture and 1 for lab. You would need to sign up for Bio1 + the Bio1 Lab at your CC.
Hmm... no Bio1 was 4 and the lab was 1, I got an A in the lab, so I'd only need to retake the lecture

About the Ads
Apr 19, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
What is your undergraduate university?
University of Miami.... I copied the course listing

BIL150 - General Biology (4 credits)
Principles of biology at the cellular, genetic, organismal, population, community and ecosystem levels of organization. Required for all biology majors. Three hours of lecture per week, and one hour of peer-led workshop.
Pre- or corequisites: BIL 151, ENG 105, and MTH 101, 105 or 107.

BIL151 - General Biology Laboratory (1 credit)
Laboratory exercises to accompany BIL 150. Required for all biology majors.
Pre- or corequisites: BIL 150.

Jun 29, 2015
Status
Physical Therapy Student
University of Miami.... I copied the course listing

BIL150 - General Biology (4 credits)
Principles of biology at the cellular, genetic, organismal, population, community and ecosystem levels of organization. Required for all biology majors. Three hours of lecture per week, and one hour of peer-led workshop.
Pre- or corequisites: BIL 151, ENG 105, and MTH 101, 105 or 107.

BIL151 - General Biology Laboratory (1 credit)
Laboratory exercises to accompany BIL 150. Required for all biology majors.
Pre- or corequisites: BIL 150.
I see, it's for because of the "one hour of peer-led workshop." I haven't seen that before.

Anywhoo, you should be fine to just take it at CC. The credit how doesn't matter as long as you have lecture and lab and they come from the biology department.

Reactions: Tinaa51
Mar 24, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
I would double check and make sure the courses you take at CC align with the prereqs required by your programs. I do believe each program specifies those details, i.e., "we require 4 Semester units or 6 quarter units". Aside from that I also believe that having an A vs. having a C for any/all of your pre-req classes is important in making your application competitive.

Jun 29, 2015
Status
Physical Therapy Student
I would double check and make sure the courses you take at CC align with the prereqs required by your programs. I do believe each program specifies those details, i.e., "we require 4 Semester units or 6 quarter units". Aside from that I also believe that having an A vs. having a C for any/all of your pre-req classes is important in making your application competitive.
This would be true. However, they would have already met the requirement of 4 semester units (unless of course UofMiami works on quarter units). But you're right, it never hurts to double check and make sure!

About the Ads