Retaking Prereq classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Darkskies

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a junior at college majoring in Genetics(B.S.) and minoring in Spanish. I was not really as motivated as I should have been my first two years at college but now I am definitely steering in the direction of wanting to go to medical school. I've posted a couple of times before and I was under the impression that if I did poorly in one or more of my prereq science classes(C-) then I could somewhat offset this by getting As in upper level science classes. I was planning on using my upper level Biology classes for doing this but I just read somewhere else that the prereqs are given more weight and that I absolutely need to have higher than a C in them to even be considered for med school. Is this true? If so, should I repeat those classes(physics)?
Thanks for reading and I appreciate all replies!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a junior at college majoring in Genetics(B.S.) and minoring in Spanish. I was not really as motivated as I should have been my first two years at college but now I am definitely steering in the direction of wanting to go to medical school. I've posted a couple of times before and I was under the impression that if I did poorly in one or more of my prereq science classes(C-) then I could somewhat offset this by getting As in upper level science classes. I was planning on using my upper level Biology classes for doing this but I just read somewhere else that the prereqs are given more weight and that I absolutely need to have higher than a C in them to even be considered for med school. Is this true? If so, should I repeat those classes(physics)?
Thanks for reading and I appreciate all replies!

If you have time, you should probably retake. I don't think that they will weight your whole application on one C- in physics though. You should be ok even w/o a retake if you have a very high gpa in your other pre reqs and bcpm classes.

Thanks for your reply but are the prereq course grades weighted more heavily than other BCPM classes or not? Any other opinions? I would really appreciate more responses.. Thanks!

Last edited: