Retaking prerequisite classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Darkskies

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a junior at college majoring in Genetics(B.S.) and minoring in Spanish. I was not really as motivated as I should have been my first two years at college but now I am definitely steering in the direction of wanting to go to medical school. I've posted a couple of times before and I was under the impression that if I did poorly in one or more of my prereq science classes(C-) then I could somewhat offset this by getting As in upper level science classes. I was planning on using my upper level Biology classes for doing this but I just read somewhere else that the prereqs are given more weight and that I absolutely need to have higher than a C in them to even be considered for med school. Is this true? If so, should I repeat those classes(physics)? I am trying to establish an upward trend for my next two years.
Thanks for reading and I appreciate all replies!

Members don't see this ad.

so far I understand that you need to have C or higher in all the prereq to be considered to med school. However, I dont know if you waive that requirement if you take upper division classes. For example, I dont know if you get a C- in General Chem 2 and you get an A in physical chemistry the adcom look that you can actually can handle a more complicated chemistry.

I can't actually tell you exactly if this is right or not but I dont think that upper divission classes would replace prereqs.

BTW Hope someone can reply with an answer for you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a junior at college majoring in Genetics(B.S.) and minoring in Spanish. I was not really as motivated as I should have been my first two years at college but now I am definitely steering in the direction of wanting to go to medical school. I've posted a couple of times before and I was under the impression that if I did poorly in one or more of my prereq science classes(C-) then I could somewhat offset this by getting As in upper level science classes. I was planning on using my upper level Biology classes for doing this but I just read somewhere else that the prereqs are given more weight and that I absolutely need to have higher than a C in them to even be considered for med school. Is this true? If so, should I repeat those classes(physics)? I am trying to establish an upward trend for my next two years.
Thanks for reading and I appreciate all replies!

It is generally accepted that doing well in upper-level science classes can help offset poor grades in your entry level/prereq classes. However, this is more of a "got a B in Bio 101 and an A in genetics type of argument." I would say that retaking your prereqs along with taking some upper level classes would be your best bet, as that would definitively show adcoms you can handle the workload. Remember though, that for allopathic schools both grades are seen and factored into your AMCAS GPA, while for osteopathic schools your better grade replaces the worse one. Good luck!

Thanks for the replies. It will be difficult to retake the prereq classes I got a C/C-(physics, I, II, orgo II, and Calculus I) in during the school year along with my upper level science classes and related courses. I was wondering if perhaps taking the courses over the summer at a local college(Syracuse University) would be fine? Please reply as soon as possible. Thanks a bunch!

Also how would the adcoms look at this? I wouldn't be retaking these courses at Syracuse University because they would be easier but because during the summer I would be back at home which is in Syracuse and the tuition would be a lot cheaper too. Thanks for reading and please reply!