WAMC (3.57, 510) Retake MCAT??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

General advice I've seen is unless you're extremely certain that you will score more than ~5 points higher, as in all of your full length practices have been 520+ under true test conditions or something, do not retake a 510. I scored a 511 (identical to a 510 to adcoms I'd wager) and have gotten several MD and DO acceptances this cycle so it shouldn't hold you back unless you're really gunning for a top tier school.

I'd instead focus on getting more non-clinical volunteering. I don't believe the piano teacher hours would count as volunteering but I'm not an adcom so could very well be wrong here. All of my interviewers made reference to my volunteering with underprivileged groups and I think these positions really tipped the scales for me. I'd strongly recommend finding an opportunity in that vein. Your app is very similar to mine so I can say with some amount of confidence that adding on some more non-clinical will help you a lot.
 
I had similar stats as you! 3.75 with a 510 and a 124 in CARS. I've had 7MD and 2 DO interviews this cycle, indicating that the 124 had minimal impact on the outcome of this cycle (maybe it did for some schools but it's impossible to speculate on this). Instead of spending the time and resources retaking the MCAT, I would spend that time engaging in meaningful activities that'll improve your application. The extra time will also allow you to begin writing your PS, activities, and ultimately your secondary responses. I think a lot of people underestimate how much energy goes into crafting this aspect of your application.

With that said, if your goal is to go to Harvard or Hopkins then I'd probably retake. Clearly that wasn't my priority, but to each their own!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It would be smart to add DO schools. Meritus DO is open. No one should want to reapply.

That said, I hope you got paid to be a piano teacher for 2000 hours. This is not service orientation. Neither is recruiting for blood donor drives though it is worthwhile. You should get 150 hours with Habitat to avoid getting screened out at most schools for lack of service orientation.
 
The main weakness in your application is your low non clinical volunteering hours. You should accumulate 150+ hours in Habitat for Humanity, homeless shelter, food bank before you submit your application. I suggest these schools if you have those hours:
Maryland
West Virginia
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest
Methodist (when it opens)
NOVA MD
Belmont
Alice Walton
TCU
Roseman
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
For DO schools I suggest these:
WVSOM
PCOM
LECOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
VCOM (all schools)
CUSOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM