Retaking the DAT(I'd rather not)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KallenWheeler

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here is my situation. I applied for dental school last year and applied at 7-8 schools. I didn't do my research and applied at a lot of schools that weren't accepting a lot of out of staters.:bang:
The only interview I got was with Creighton University (IDEP program). But I got wait listed...
Anyways...These are my DAT scores. Bio-17 GC- 18 OC - 17 SA(average Science)- 18 AA - 19 RC - 20 QR - 23 PAT - 21. GPA about 3.60 Science GPA is about 3.5. And my major is Exercise Physiology.
I did some minor research for 50-70 hours, I'll have about 150-170 hours shadowing, and I have a lot of volunteer hours but you can't consider it "leadership."
I was thinking about taking the DAT in about the middle of May and I have been half-heartedly studying for it for a couple weeks now. I know I can up my science scores and hopefully keep the RC, PAT, and QR about the same.
My question is do I REALLY need to take the DAT again? Or would I be fine applying to 13-15 schools and getting my application in on opening day?
I was thinking I would be okay not taking the DAT again... But better safe than sorry right?

Members don't see this ad.

So here is my situation. I applied for dental school last year and applied at 7-8 schools. I didn't do my research and applied at a lot of schools that weren't accepting a lot of out of staters.:bang:
The only interview I got was with Creighton University (IDEP program). But I got wait listed...
Anyways...These are my DAT scores. Bio-17 GC- 18 OC - 17 SA(average Science)- 18 AA - 19 RC - 20 QR - 23 PAT - 21. GPA about 3.60 Science GPA is about 3.5. And my major is Exercise Physiology.
I did some minor research for 50-70 hours, I'll have about 150-170 hours shadowing, and I have a lot of volunteer hours but you can't consider it "leadership."
I was thinking about taking the DAT in about the middle of May and I have been half-heartedly studying for it for a couple weeks now. I know I can up my science scores and hopefully keep the RC, PAT, and QR about the same.
My question is do I REALLY need to take the DAT again? Or would I be fine applying to 13-15 schools and getting my application in on opening day?
I was thinking I would be okay not taking the DAT again... But better safe than sorry right?

What are the specific schools that you applied to?
17 BIO and 17TS is pretty bad.
- As of now, it seems like you must retake with an 18AA and a 17TS.

Sorry if it was confusing how I wrote it initially but TS=18 and AA = 19.
I applied at WVU, BU, Loma Linda, UKentucky, Arizona School of dentistry, and University of Tennessee.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey bing, what were your stats are you on predents? just curious what it took to get into temple.

I bolded the thing that killed you this cycle :(

IMO your GPA is fine, your AA is fine, TS is a 1 point lower than a competitive number, but I don't think a retake is that necessary. IF you apply to 15-20 OUT-OF-STATE friendlies, you'll get in somewhere

sorry about the size, I felt like shouting it :p

Use this
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=635046

hey bing, what were your stats are you on predents? just curious what it took to get into temple.

MY stats: AA: 20, TS: 21, PAT: 18

ogpa: 3.3, sgpa: 3.4

Economics major

My last 2 years was around a 3.75 ( yes I did that poorly in the first few semesters.haha).

As for the OP, ohhh ok sorry about that, so 19AA, 18TS, and 23PAT. your BIO score might be a red flag. Yea you are correct on your school options, there should have been NYU, Boston, Tufts, Temple on that list. It is a tough choice, your gpa is pretty good.

I wouls say it is a 50/50 on whether you should take it or not. You could possibly do worse, I understand your concern. Problem is, the 18TS and the 17 BIO is not gonna do you any good, if you believe your DAT scores is the best you could have done, then I say try applying again and see if you can get in. If that is not the best you could have done, I say retake it if you believe you can truly alter your study habits to achieve a greater score.

I am pretty sure I can do better on the Biology. When I took the DAT I had only taken the first half of Anat & Phys so there were probably 3-5 questions that were blatant guesses and I have since taken Biochem which helps out on any questions about metabolic pathways etc. I think I can get BIO up to a 19 or 20 and hopefully do better on the chemistries. Thanks for the help!

I wouls say it is a 50/50 on whether you should take it or not. You could possibly do worse, I understand your concern. Problem is, the 18TS and the 17 BIO is not gonna do you any good, if you believe your DAT scores is the best you could have done, then I say try applying again and see if you can get in. If that is not the best you could have done, I say retake it if you believe you can truly alter your study habits to achieve a greater score.

I agree. If you feel this is "your best," then meh, there is no point in retaking. However, if you feel you can do better, then by all means do it. If you get a higher score 20+, then you'll be way better off. Also, If you are capable of a 3.6, I would assume a ~20 would not be out of reach.

You have a Pretty solid GPA, your DAT score is a bit low, you just made the mistake of applying to non OOS friendly schools, this year apply to like 15 schools that take a lot of OOS applicants and you should get in somewhere.

This is my opinion, but I'd retake. A 18AA is good, but a 17TS is pretty low.

As you know, it is up to you, but I'd stick with what you have. I got rejected and then got accepted (by multiple schools) with the same scores both times. You don't want to risk getting lower scores in the areas where you scored high just to try to get higher in the ones you scored low. You will probably find any good will be canceled out by the bad. Very rarely have I read about someone doing much better in ALL the sections.

Anybody else have anything to say about the matter? It seems the opinion is 50/50. It is a TOUGH decision, don't want to sit around for another year and not go to dental school till 2013...

As you know, it is up to you, but I'd stick with what you have. I got rejected and then got accepted (by multiple schools) with the same scores both times. You don't want to risk getting lower scores in the areas where you scored high just to try to get higher in the ones you scored low. You will probably find any good will be canceled out by the bad. Very rarely have I read about someone doing much better in ALL the sections.

I would kill for your GPA :mad:

Anybody else have anything to say about the matter? It seems the opinion is 50/50. It is a TOUGH decision, don't want to sit around for another year and not go to dental school till 2013...

Honestly, I would retake. Your science is on the low end and I don't really think the rest of your scores are so astronomical that you can't get them again. I know its a bad situation to be in, but this is one of those 50/50 up to you choices.

I think you should definitely retake it. Your GPAs are decent but if the admission committees at dental schools see that you are reapplying and DID NOT retake the DAT (or even attempt to retake it to TRY and get a higher score), then it may be a problem. There's always room for improvement.

Definately retake!! Why not? you have plentty of time, and if this is what you really want then a few months of studying isnt much to ask to raise your score.

Definately retake!! Why not? you have plentty of time, and if this is what you really want then a few months of studying isnt much to ask to raise your score.

I know I might get flamed hard for saying this...but I'll say it anyways :p

I firmly believe that the difference between a 18-19 and 20+ is more effort/hard work. A 20+ is definitely doable by anyone's standards if they pushed just a little bit more.

A 17-19 in Bio is equivalent to missing ~8-13 questions, 17-19 GC is equivalent to missing ~5-10 questions, and 17-19 OC is equivalent to missing ~6-11 questions. If you put a lil bit more effort, I'm sure missing 2-4 in each section would be more appropriate as opposed to missing 7,9,10 questions in each section.

A 24-25+? Now that's a combination of hard work, luck, and or natural smartness.

The difference between those scores is only missing 1 or 2 questions which, in my opinion, is more luck rather then hard work.

If I were you OP, I would retake. A 20+ is definitely doable, and if you put your head to it, I'm sure you can pull it off.

I know I might get flamed hard for saying this...but I'll say it anyways :p

I firmly believe that the difference between a 18-19 and 20+ is more effort/hard work. A 20+ is definitely doable by anyone's standards if they pushed just a little bit more.

A 17-19 in Bio is equivalent to missing ~8-13 questions, 17-19 GC is equivalent to missing ~5-10 questions, and 17-19 OC is equivalent to missing ~6-11 questions. If you put a lil bit more effort, I'm sure missing 2-4 in each section would be more appropriate as opposed to missing 7,9,10 questions in each section.

A 24-25+? Now that's a combination of hard work, luck, and or natural smartness.

The difference between those scores is only missing 1 or 2 questions which, in my opinion, is more luck rather then hard work.

If I were you OP, I would retake. A 20+ is definitely doable, and if you put your head to it, I'm sure you can pull it off.

Got my ticket...lets get the show on the road...
1zpqj69.jpg

My recommendation would be continue studying for the DAT and plan on retaking it by the end of August/beginning of September. Meanwhile, submit your completed application early using your current scores to a larger pool of OOS friendly schools. This way you should be getting interview invites by the time you plan to take your DAT, and if they are rolling in, you know your probably safe to not retake. However, if you hear crickets, you will be on track to take the DAT anyway and still have your scores submitted well before Dec. 1.

i would def retake it. it can only help. just study more for it. if you can get good scores in those sections you can def pull up your scores in the other sections. don't take the chance of getting rejected/ waitlisted again. keep your head up i know how it feels!