Retaking the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted945327

So I'm re-taking the DAT in less than 2 weeks and I'm curious on opinions in where I stand. Last year when I studied, I would attempt DAT bootcamp and DAT destroyer simultaneously in the same day. I felt this could have affected what I understood and what I didn't understand. Also, I studied for around 3 and half months without really taking notes in biology so I believe I was forgetting much of the information I studied.

This year to change things up, I attempted DAT Destroyer a couple of times, with 2 cycles of biology, 2 cycles of organic chemistry, and 1 cycle of general chemistry. After doing so, I started to tackle full length exams on DAT Bootcamp. I felt this helped actually prepare me for what sub-topics I was weak in for sciences. I didn't attempt any stand alone exams (doing 1 by 1) on DAT bootcamp because I felt a big role of memorization in answers was at play. With that said, I have completed 7 full length science exams along with PAT, but first the first two, I only attempted RC and QR with them. For QR, I was very weak from the start so I continued to watch videos and do problems separate of doing a full length with it other than the two first attempts on DAT Bootcamp. For RC, I scored a 20 on the first 2 attempts and felt I understand how to already tackle it so I shouldn't really focus on this subject anymore.

Scores on first attempt DAT (last year):
17 BIO
18 GC
19 ORGO
15 QR
21 RC
18 PAT
18 TS
18 AA

DAT Bootcamp Full Length 1 :
23 BIO
18 GC
23 Orgo
16 QR
20 RC
20 PAT

DAT Bootcamp Full Length 2 :
21 BIO
19 GC
19 Orgo
19 PAT
17 QR
20 RC

DAT Bootcamp Sciences Exam 3 with PAT:
BIO 18
GC 19
ORGO 19
PAT 19

DAT Bootcamp Sciences Exam 4 with PAT:
22 BIO
18 GC
22 ORGO
19 PAT

DAT Bootcamp Sciences Exam 5 without PAT:
20 BIO
19 GC
22 Orgo

DAT Bootcamp Sciences Exam 6 without PAT:
BIO 19
GC 20
ORGO 21

DAT Bootcamp Sciences Exam 7 with PAT:
BIO 20
GC 19
ORGO 21
PAT 19

NOTE: All of these scores were my first attempt on DAT Bootcamp (Also, many of the mistakes I did on my biology were 50/50 chances on my last two answers being selected for. For example, there was one exam I took where I had 9 questions out of 12 I got wrong that were 50/50 on the last two answers. With Organic Chemistry, they were stupid mistakes because I understood right away what I did wrong but just chose the incorrect answer.)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
You look like you are in great shape. Good luck on your DAT! You will do great. Your practice scores reflect that. When are you planning to apply to dental school? I am also in the re-take boat and debating whether I should risk re-submitting before my new DAT scores...I want to make sure I am happy with my re-take before I pay all that $$$ to re-apply. Hopefully August isn't too late.

Reactions: 1 users
You're improving a ton! Whatever you're doing seems to be working for you this time around so I would keep going. You might want to focus on the PAT and RC since you haven't really done much practice for them. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
You look like you are in great shape. Good luck on your DAT! You will do great. Your practice scores reflect that. When are you planning to apply to dental school? I am also in the re-take boat and debating whether I should risk re-submitting before my new DAT scores...I want to make sure I am happy with my re-take before I pay all that $$$ to re-apply. Hopefully August isn't too late.

I'm applying this year.I would wait to see the results before you submit the final application. I'm sure though you can submit with everything ready to go.

Reactions: 1 user