Retaking the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anondukie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a pretty decent MCAT score but am still considering a retake. I'm going to be applying next year.

Would it be possible for me to apply with my current score but retake the test in June 2018? Would my application not be processed until the new MCAT score is released? I don't want to let the retake get in the way of applying early!

Members don't see this ad.

1. don't retake a 510+
2. your application will be verified but schools hold your app until they receive your MCAT if you indicate you're retaking it
3. if you are retaking it, why June 2018? try to get it done sometime earlier than that so you can focus on your application rather than studying for the exam

Reactions: 1 user
I have a pretty decent MCAT score but am still considering a retake. I'm going to be applying next year.

Would it be possible for me to apply with my current score but retake the test in June 2018? Would my application not be processed until the new MCAT score is released? I don't want to let the retake get in the way of applying early!
Score?
State of residence?

Members don't see this ad :)
OP - apologies in advance for not answering your question. Its hard for the SDN community to give you feedback without knowing your current MCAT score which you dubbed "good enough." Good enough = ?????

I believe there is a way to indicate on the AMCAS that you are applying but still waiting to upload a score from a future test date (don't quote me on that though...).

Additionally, if your score is 509+, you have a tolerable GPA, and an otherwise okay application, why not go ahead and apply early (at the start of June, etc.)

1. What's your current MCAT?
2. What's your GPA?
3. When would you take your second MCAT and receive the score?

Also, in the wise words of @Goro, its best to apply once and with the strongest possible application you can put together. If that means waiting 1 year, or hell, even 3 years with a SMP, retake, and boosting your CV, just take the time off now.

Reactions: 2 users
@Dr. Stalker

Sorry for providing incomplete information. The current score is a 518 (129, 131, 129, 129) which sounds like a perfectly acceptable score. However, the thing to consider is that I'm not a US citizen/permanent resident so I feel like it may not be enough...

Undergrad GPA was 3.3 (with a really poor final semester)
Post-bacc GPA is 4.0 (4 classes so far, 3 A+s and 1 A; currently enrolled in 3 courses over the summer)
I was planning on taking the MCAT after completing the post-bacc in May 2018. I'm in a very different place in my life now and I feel like my grades are beginning to reflect that. I want my MCAT score to do the same.

Thank you all for your input. Your advice is always greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
@Dr. Stalker

Sorry for providing incomplete information. The current score is a 518 (129, 131, 129, 129) which sounds like a perfectly acceptable score. However, the thing to consider is that I'm not a US citizen/permanent resident so I feel like it may not be enough...

Post-bacc GPA is 4.0 (4 classes so far, 3 A+s and 1 A; currently enrolled in 3 courses over the summer)
I was planning on taking the MCAT after completing the post-bacc in May 2018. I'm in a very different place in my life now and I feel like my grades are beginning to reflect that. I want my MCAT score to do the same.

I'm not too familiar with international guidelines, but I would think retaking a 518 (97th percentile) offers more risk than reward, especially if this is near what your scored on AAMC's practice tests

I'd think it more wise to focus on the portion of your app that is currently deficient - GPA. If you're applying in 2018, you can expend that MCAT energy taking more credits and continue earning As.

Ohnono don't retake. Even if you get a 520+ it could raise questions about why you chose to spend time studying for a retake instead of doing something useful.

Also congrats on that score! I know international student admissions is super competitive, but be proud of yourself and remember to appreciate that you've gotten returns on hard work.

Last edited:
@Dr. Stalker

It depends on when you took the MCAT. A sustained upward trend over few semesters will allay academic concerns but your MCAT score may be at risk of expiring so you may have to retake. If you took the MCAT in 2016 and finish your postbacc in 2018 and apply immediately in the summer, there is no need to retake since your 518 is still valid till 2019.

@Dr. Stalker

Thanks for being comprehensive. There's a clear cut answer here, but first you must ask yourself this: Do you want to be a doctor? If the answer is yes, do not retake the MCAT. That simple.

In cases like yours (disclaimer, N = 1), your score will either, best case, stay the same, or go down. A classmate of mine scored consistent 40+ on the old MCAT Practice Exams, for exams 3 - 9. On 10 he scored a 38, and on 11 a 35. He ultimately scored a 34 on the real mcat and was sorely disappointed. He retook and then scored a 29. Don't be foolish my friend. Focus on the GPA issues you brought up, not the MCAT because it isn't an issue at all!

BTW, congrats dude, that's a sick score.

That is not enough credit to show potential as a physician particularly as international and having a really poor final term. Lets see your AMCAS GPA Grid but my gut feeling is another year of work and do not, do not, do not, retake the MCAT. It will only go so far in overcoming GPA issue

I will be applying in 2018 after completing 11 additional courses. My GPA should be just north of 3.5 if everything goes according to plan.

Thanks for being comprehensive. There's a clear cut answer here, but first you must ask yourself this: Do you want to be a doctor? If the answer is yes, do not retake the MCAT. That simple.

In cases like yours (disclaimer, N = 1), your score will either, best case, stay the same, or go down. A classmate of mine scored consistent 40+ on the old MCAT Practice Exams, for exams 3 - 9. On 10 he scored a 38, and on 11 a 35. He ultimately scored a 34 on the real mcat and was sorely disappointed. He retook and then scored a 29. Don't be foolish my friend. Focus on the GPA issues you brought up, not the MCAT because it isn't an issue at all!

BTW, congrats dude, that's a sick score.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
30+ credits would be 10+ courses, right?

Each course is roughly 3 credits (on average), so I would expect to take 10+ courses. Try to ace all of them!

Yes, that's what I'm doing. 3 in the summer and then 4 each in the fall and spring respectively.

Best of luck and make sure to do well to pull up that GPA!

Oh my gosh do not retake the MCAT!! The area you need to improve on is your 3.3 GPA. Your MCAT can't get much better.

Oh my gosh do not retake the MCAT!! The area you need to improve on is your 3.3 GPA. Your MCAT can't get much better.

Yeah, I'm definitely not worrying about the MCAT for the next couple of months. Focusing on class and clinical extracurriculars.

Yeah, I'm definitely not worrying about the MCAT for the next couple of months. Focusing on class and clinical extracurriculars.

I don't think you're fully understanding everyone. Do not ever worry about your MCAT again.

Reactions: 9 users
It depends on when you took the MCAT. A sustained upward trend over few semesters will allay academic concerns but your MCAT score may be at risk of expiring so you may have to retake. If you took the MCAT in 2016 and finish your postbacc in 2018 and apply immediately in the summer, there is no need to retake since your 518 is still valid till 2019.

Thanks for the response! I will have taken two years worth of classes by the time I apply (in 2018). The MCAT was taken in 2016, so it should still be valid. I'm hoping that the new grades + clinical experience will offset my weak undergraduate GPA. I'll seriously consider doing an SMP if I don't receive any offers.

Don't trust any of these people. They don't want you to potentially get a higher score. You can still increase your score by another ten points! That's a lot.

Jk OP Lmfao. Don't ever use the words "mcat" and "retake" in the same sentence ever again. I hope you get accepted to your dream school! Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Don't trust any of these people. They don't want you to potentially get a higher score. You can still increase your score by another ten points! That's a lot.

Jk OP Lmfao. Don't ever use the words "mcat" and "retake" in the same sentence ever again. I hope you get accepted to your dream school! Good luck!

I knew it! Registering immediately… ;)