Retention survey

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SirGecko

Go Navy
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In case anyone hasn’t seen it there is currently a retention survey out there to solicit feedback about factors that affect medical corps retention. I know the likelihood of any positive change is likely looked on as small here but can’t hurt to provide your observations!

*edit: link removed, check your email or the MCcareer blog

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
In case anyone hasn’t seen it there is currently a retention survey out there to solicit feedback about factors that affect medical corps retention. I know the likelihood of any positive change is likely looked on as small here but can’t hurt to provide your observations!

[link removed]

Why would you post this link on an open forum?

It’s not illegal to do so, but it’s going to really defeat the purpose of the data is now being submitted by any random person. Maybe tell folks that a survey exists and to check their email, it was widely distributed.

It’s not illegal to do so, but it’s going to really defeat the purpose of the data is now being submitted by any random person. Maybe tell folks that a survey exists and to check their email, it was widely distributed.
Good point. But you’re assuming more than 4 people read these and that the data is actually used to drive change 😎

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I edited it and took the link off. Though I got it from the MCCareer blog which is also publicly available.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
One more survey. Yup. That’s what will get mil med back on track. If they get just onnnnnnnneeee more survey.

Milmed beats me because he loves me. Really.

;)

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

I don't think there are a lot of random people who do weird niche surveys like this for fun.

And maybe it'd be a good thing if some ex-military members of this forum filled it out and commented on why they left.

Actually, those are probably the people with the most valuable input if the goal is to improve retention.

Reactions: 4 users
retention smension, that's what I always say...

retention smension, that's what I always say...
In all seriousness, there's a good argument to be made that their actual goal is anti-retention of clinicians, and limited retention of admin track people.

From their point of view, filling billets with O3s and junior O4s serving ADSOs is better than filling them with O5s and O6s on retention bonuses. The junior doctor widgets cost half as much as senior doctor widgets. Probably more like 1/5th as much, or even less, if you factor in the long term pension costs of the lifers.

$300K is better spent recruiting and paying tuition/stipend for a new HPSP accession, than paying non-obligated surgeons an extra $300K to get them to fair market rates. From the line's point of view, a green O4 surgeon 16 days out of residency is just as good as an O6 surgeon with 16 years of experience. Both can spend 7 months sitting on their hands in a Role 2 tent. This is fundamentally why incentive pay hasn't changed in 30+ years, and surveys asking for how people feel about it can't change their doctor=widget accounting mindset.

Reactions: 5 users
In all seriousness, there's a good argument to be made that their actual goal is anti-retention of clinicians, and limited retention of admin track people.

From their point of view, filling billets with O4s and junior O4s serving ADSOs is better than filling them with O5s and O6s on retention bonuses. The junior doctor widgets cost half as much as senior doctor widgets. Probably more like 1/5th as much, or even less, if you factor in the long term pension costs of the lifers.

$300K is better spent recruiting and paying tuition/stipend for a new HPSP accession, than paying non-obligated surgeons an extra $300K to get them to fair market rates. From the line's point of view, a green O4 surgeon 16 days out of residency is just as good as an O6 surgeon with 16 years of experience. Both can spend 7 months sitting on their hands in a Role 2 tent. This is fundamentally why incentive pay hasn't changed in 30+ years, and surveys asking for how people feel about it can't change their doctor=widget accounting mindset.
I had never even considered this until once upon a time you posted something similar with this point of view. Looking at it through that lens I completely agree with you and totally makes sense as to why they haven’t changed things and retention is so poor. It’s cheaper for them to recruit HPSPers and pay young O3’s and O4’s instead of paying O5’s and O6’s for years and then paying the pension as well. Especially since the pipeline seems to be steadily full with students signing up as they are.

I had never even considered this until once upon a time you posted something similar with this point of view. Looking at it through that lens I completely agree with you and totally makes sense as to why they haven’t changed things and retention is so poor. It’s cheaper for them to recruit HPSPers and pay young O3’s and O4’s instead of paying O5’s and O6’s for years and then paying the pension as well. Especially since the pipeline seems to be steadily full with students signing up as they are.
Is the pipeline actually full? IDK, maybe it is and maybe it isn't but the military sure doesn't make those numbers public like they do their general recruiting numbers (which have been horrendous the last two years). Even it is full, I hear from my USUHS buddies still on active duty that the quality of candidate is horrible. All "puppy mill" for-profit DO schools and no allopathic instituions other than USUHS. I guess the line doesn't care that they are getting bottom of the barrel, either.

I know this sounds like a slight on DOs, but we all know the truth about these new, for-profit DO schools that charge 90-100k+/yr in tuition - the quality of candidate is not that of allopathic schools and the top-notch DO schools pure and simple.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Who has the juice? Can whoever is receiving the survey have any power to change the system. The military will never change their tone. They organization loves the new guy and surprisingly is indifferent to those that have served many years. This relationship is probably more pronounced in the military. However the civilian world can be just as cut throat. Even though I am well paid as a civilian I recognize I am just as replaceable as anybody who can do my job. Best maximize pay and time off rinse repeat.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the pipeline actually full? IDK, maybe it is and maybe it isn't but the military sure doesn't make those numbers public like they do their general recruiting numbers (which have been horrendous the last two years). Even it is full, I hear from my USUHS buddies still on active duty that the quality of candidate is horrible. All "puppy mill" for-profit DO schools and no allopathic instituions other than USUHS. I guess the line doesn't care that they are getting bottom of the barrel, either.

I know this sounds like a slight on DOs, but we all know the truth about these new, for-profit DO schools that charge 90-100k+/yr in tuition - the quality of candidate is not that of allopathic schools and the top-notch DO schools pure and simple.

I've heard the same complaints more and more often from the USUHS classmates I stay in contact with. It seems to be pretty across the board, not just grumbling from one specialty or another. I'm not currently assigned at one of the major GME sites though.

The combination of essentially for profit schools and largely unlimited HPSP scholarship amounts intersected to create a suboptimal situation. That's not to say that some of the people who go to those schools don't put their nose to the grindstone and come out just as good, but the complaint I keep hearing is that the overall average has decreased.

Or we are all just getting old and complaining that the kids these days don't have to walk in the snow, uphill, with half a shoe like we did.

Last edited:
So I was curious and looked at the survey. The demographic information requested is more than enough to have easily identified me.

The questions are...interesting. One asks you to rate "increase pay for all specialties" but there's no question about targeting compensation increases to the specialties that are most severely underpaid.

Another suggests you might want "increased training prior to deployment" because there's nothing better than leaving your family for Fort BFE to practice deploying right before you actually deploy.

"Put a stronger focus on building more resilient teams": what does that even mean. Etc.

Its brilliant, really. Bury the real issues amongst the buzzwords that you've given equal billing. GIGO. In case anyone is worried, I didn't fill out the survey.

The questions have always been pretty off. I remember one year the AF survey had a question something like:

What would make you most likely to stay on active duty:
a) additional opportunities for non-clinical leadership
b) additional opportunities for deployment
c) homesteading at Maxwell AFB
d) poking your own left eye with a dull needle

Shockingly, the results suggested everyone really, really wanted to PCS to Maxwell and stay there. A little hyperbole, of course.

I entertain myself by putting answers in all the comments boxes on these things. I try to be pointed and blunt, but actually helpful on the off chance someone with the interest and leverage to make a change reads them.

It's still pretty entertaining to evaluate the bias in their question writing.

If the surveys were conducted by a professional research organization with an interest to avoid bias, and with the interest in enabling informed decisions on policy and resource allocation, that would be worthwhile. Most milmed survey material is amateur work, however, written by people within the organization, and a waste of time.

Big army inaction after surveys always reminds me of this great Pulp Fiction quote:

“If my answers frighten you Vincent, then you should cease asking scary questions.” -Jules

If the surveys were conducted by a professional research organization with an interest to avoid bias, and with the interest in enabling informed decisions on policy and resource allocation, that would be worthwhile. Most milmed survey material is amateur work, however, written by people within the organization, and a waste of time.
Not sure we need to be spending more money on this. RAND wrote it up and leadership already knows why people leave…they just don’t feel the need to stop the exodus right now

I just did it.

The video that the admiral in San Diego attached with the survey was really sad- “we really want to know why everyone is getting out.”

Retention is the worst I’ve ever seen, everyone with plans to stay in is heading for the hills in “operational” -ie easy shore based fleet jobs- and they don’t come back to the MTF because of TAD/deployment risk on platforms. DHA is such a train wreck that the military docs have to run the MTFs because they can’t hire, making life there even worse. Specialty care is hitting the doors in record numbers. We are going to be down to 1-2 people at each MTF in most medical specialties by 2026. We have so many junior people running departments that there is no senior clinical leadership and mentorship even available.

No one is even taking retention bonuses they offer right nowbecause civilian pay is so much higher it doesn’t make sense to commit yourself to more time and deployment risk for 60-75k a year. Everyone I know that took our fairly generous RB a few years ago regrets it and advises strongly against it.

All in all, not good.

Not sure we need to be spending more money on this. RAND wrote it up and leadership already knows why people leave…

Most of the time, if people keep asking the same questions when they already know the answers, it's because they're hoping the answers will change.

I have to truly be honest. I worked harder at nmcp for 1/4 of the pay I currently earn. That alone should be the answer to your surveys. 30 days of vacation versus 14.5 weeks of vacation. Its pure psychological lunacy to believe in the koolaid the navy was pushing. Do your time and get out. Your surveys wont change anything other then the fitrep of who administered them.

I have to truly be honest. I worked harder at nmcp for 1/4 of the pay I currently earn. That alone should be the answer to your surveys. 30 days of vacation versus 14.5 weeks of vacation. Its pure psychological lunacy to believe in the koolaid the navy was pushing. Do your time and get out. Your surveys wont change anything other then the fitrep of who administered them.
It's always interesting how you can be more productive at civilian facilities, while simultaneously feeling as though you're doing less work. I mean part of the issue is certainly the inefficiencies of the military bureaucracy, then you've got corpsmen/medics that don't like their job because the military chose it for them, contract nurses that know how to do just enough work to not get fired, constant down time, IT departments that suck, etc.

The fact the juice is not worth the squeeze. No deployments, more time off, way more $$$. Do your time and get out!

It's always interesting how you can be more productive at civilian facilities, while simultaneously feeling as though you're doing less work.
Most of that, of course, is the better support structure that offloads ancillary tasks to nonphysicians, so the physicians can devote more time to being physicians.

Speaking of support. @narcusprince and I were at the same anesthesia dept a couple years ago, before we finished our time in the Navy.

One thing that always frustrated me, and that I'm sure he'll relate to, when it comes to the civ vs mil cultural differences - every day our dept scheduled people in "support" roles. Their only job was to cover people for meetings and to offer morning, lunch, and afternoon breaks. We also burned a body in a "consult" role. The most charitable thing I can say about that arrangement was that sometimes it was very helpful to have an extra set of hands available to do something complex or urgent.

Part of the reason we had "support" assignments was prompted by the fact that there were SO MANY meetings and nonclinical duties distributed to people in the department. But this kind of staffing waste is unthinkable outside of government service - I mean it was a nice luxury to have such frequent and reliable breaks, I guess, but there was a price. It reduced the number of ORs we could actually run cases in. It also came at the cost of raising the floor of our minimum staffing numbers. Which impacted whether or not leave could be approved.

I can't fathom having four of my current partners assigned to do nothing but give breaks for coffee or to get someone out of the OR to go a lean sigma nine green belt whiteboard brainstorming session. It's insane.

I'm a glass-half-full kind of guy and in the grand aggregate I was basically happy throughout my time in the Navy. But I can't begin to express the soul crushing frustration and exhaustion that came with getting your leave or TAD denied, only to find yourself assigned to give coffee breaks to colleagues who typically had 30-40 minute turnovers between cases.

Side note to that - for the last year or so that I was on AD, I was the primary scheduler and leave approver, and I informally polled the dept to see if anyone would object to a more liberal approval policy, if it meant fewer people assigned to support and that maaaaybe sometimes you missed a break. No surprise - nobody on active duty objected. I was able to run things a little leaner (but still absurdly fat by civilian standards) and I only had to deny a couple of leave requests. My tenure as leave approver was popular.

The sticking point was that the civilians needed their contractually obligated breaks, so I couldn't really cut the support assignments to the bone the way I wanted to. Insult to injury: getting your leave or TAD denied, just to be a break giver to civilians earning 2x what you make while taking no weekend or call shifts.

We talk a lot about vague and nebulous "government inefficiency" but for me the hardest bits to bear were the self-inflicted wounds like this. There was just no need to run the place that way. But we did it to ourselves.

Most of that, of course, is the better support structure that offloads ancillary tasks to nonphysicians, so the physicians can devote more time to being physicians.

Speaking of support. @narcusprince and I were at the same anesthesia dept a couple years ago, before we finished our time in the Navy.

One thing that always frustrated me, and that I'm sure he'll relate to, when it comes to the civ vs mil cultural differences - every day our dept scheduled people in "support" roles. Their only job was to cover people for meetings and to offer morning, lunch, and afternoon breaks. We also burned a body in a "consult" role. The most charitable thing I can say about that arrangement was that sometimes it was very helpful to have an extra set of hands available to do something complex or urgent.

Part of the reason we had "support" assignments was prompted by the fact that there were SO MANY meetings and nonclinical duties distributed to people in the department. But this kind of staffing waste is unthinkable outside of government service - I mean it was a nice luxury to have such frequent and reliable breaks, I guess, but there was a price. It reduced the number of ORs we could actually run cases in. It also came at the cost of raising the floor of our minimum staffing numbers. Which impacted whether or not leave could be approved.

I can't fathom having four of my current partners assigned to do nothing but give breaks for coffee or to get someone out of the OR to go a lean sigma nine green belt whiteboard brainstorming session. It's insane.

I'm a glass-half-full kind of guy and in the grand aggregate I was basically happy throughout my time in the Navy. But I can't begin to express the soul crushing frustration and exhaustion that came with getting your leave or TAD denied, only to find yourself assigned to give coffee breaks to colleagues who typically had 30-40 minute turnovers between cases.

Side note to that - for the last year or so that I was on AD, I was the primary scheduler and leave approver, and I informally polled the dept to see if anyone would object to a more liberal approval policy, if it meant fewer people assigned to support and that maaaaybe sometimes you missed a break. No surprise - nobody on active duty objected. I was able to run things a little leaner (but still absurdly fat by civilian standards) and I only had to deny a couple of leave requests. My tenure as leave approver was popular.

The sticking point was that the civilians needed their contractually obligated breaks, so I couldn't really cut the support assignments to the bone the way I wanted to. Insult to injury: getting your leave or TAD denied, just to be a break giver to civilians earning 2x what you make while taking no weekend or call shifts.

We talk a lot about vague and nebulous "government inefficiency" but for me the hardest bits to bear were the self-inflicted wounds like this. There was just no need to run the place that way. But we did it to ourselves.

Extremely well articulated. I certainly couldn’t explain the inefficiencies as well as pgg.

What I will say is this….I did 18 cases (2 rooms with 2 CRNAs and an -ologist) and was done by 4 today. Everyone worked together and was out by 5. The most ironic thing is that 12 of the cases were Tricaid that the the local MTF (10 miles away) couldn’t “fit in.”

I’m glad to hear retention is terrible. Hopefully it will reach 0% and recruitment will plummet. It’s the only way those a$$holes will listen.

Burn it to the ground!

I just did it.

The video that the admiral in San Diego attached with the survey was really sad- “we really want to know why everyone is getting out.”

Retention is the worst I’ve ever seen, everyone with plans to stay in is heading for the hills in “operational” -ie easy shore based fleet jobs- and they don’t come back to the MTF because of TAD/deployment risk on platforms. DHA is such a train wreck that the military docs have to run the MTFs because they can’t hire, making life there even worse. Specialty care is hitting the doors in record numbers. We are going to be down to 1-2 people at each MTF in most medical specialties by 2026. We have so many junior people running departments that there is no senior clinical leadership and mentorship even available.

No one is even taking retention bonuses they offer right nowbecause civilian pay is so much higher it doesn’t make sense to commit yourself to more time and deployment risk for 60-75k a year. Everyone I know that took our fairly generous RB a few years ago regrets it and advises strongly against it.

All in all, not good.
The pathetic thing about this situation is its utter forseeability. Devalue the professionals both in pay and status, humiliate them officially by having a "surgeon" general not even be a physician, diminish the quality of hospitals and the training they are capable of providing while withholding training, perpetuate the antique and abusive use of GMOs, cut the retirement benefits. What individual cognizant of their professional value would want to settle for a long-term committment to such an employer? It is telling of the abject failure of institutional leadership for a senior officer--an admiral, no less--to express wonder why so many are leaving. Tell me what value there is anymore to staying. Over a decade ago, the Navy surgeon general (one who didn't pad his Navy resume with fake diplomas) made the incisive observation about the decline in diversity of applicants to HPSP from American medical schools, especially the decline in the proportion of applicants from allopathic schools. That hasn't stopped. When the HPSP program started to falter in attracting a bare minimum from any U.S. schools, they responded with a bonus program, which brought applications up a bit but did nothing to change the skew away from allopathic student accessions.

I just can't believe the institution is collectively that stupid. That doesn't make sense even from a statistical rationale. This is something that they are willing to accept, they know why it is happening and are unwilling to do what is necessary to change the practice and training climate to reverse the trend. It is an acceptable loss.

So they should not scratch their heads and wonder why people who recognize their own professional worth aren't willing to stay with their program.

Last edited:
Let me phrase is this way. I have made a specialty bonus every 2 weeks in private practice. With 10 weeks of vacation. Military physicians have been devalued to the bare minimum. An do not give me the well your not paying malpractice, I dont pay that now. My current hospital pays for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, I walk into a physicians lounge stocked full of waters soda, protein shakes, coffee, fruit, whatever snacks. I never had one free meal in the navy. Their is a concierge car cleaning service that washes our cars in the PHYSICIANS parking. I have value in private practice!

Reactions: 6 users
The pay differential is probably the #1 driving factor and is probably the hidden reason that drives whatever is #2-10 that people would list. Unfortunately the military doesn’t appear able (willing?) to really do anything about it to any substantial effect. Sure, some specialties are more on par, but the other benefits in many areas can’t be touched (support staff, time off, CME budgets, etc).

In the past when manning was flush many were willing to overlook this for the intangible benefits of the military (service to country, reduced admin burden, lower workload, etc). In today’s manning the “benefits” are basically now down to “service to country” because the administrative burden is through the roof, the support staff is non-existent, the pay isn’t keeping up with inflation, and TADs/deployments are spread amongst an ever shrinking group.

Also, whenever I would bring up benefits for physicians some numb nutz would say well the corpsman don’t get bonuses or benefits. Well they never went through 12 years of education. I guarantee if the military said to everyone you can leave tomorrow everyone would vacate. And that says something about the strength of that institution.

DO here and not offended. My school looks on paper like a "puppy mill", though it wasn't for profit. I think the Education Bubble(TM) has just pushed so many DO students to seek assistance through the HPSP scholarship. I think if I went to even a lower tier MD school, that was in state and had in state type tuition, there would certainly be less pressure than those of us that sign up knowing we'd graduate with >$400k in debt.

As far as the candidates being low quality - it's commensurate with the training at MTFs? Pretty much every HPSP student that comes from a school affiliated with a big hospital system is just shocked at the difference in volume, acuity, support staff, etc.

DO here and not offended. My school looks on paper like a "puppy mill", though it wasn't for profit. I think the Education Bubble(TM) has just pushed so many DO students to seek assistance through the HPSP scholarship. I think if I went to even a lower tier MD school, that was in state and had in state type tuition, there would certainly be less pressure than those of us that sign up knowing we'd graduate with >$400k in debt.

As far as the candidates being low quality - it's commensurate with the training at MTFs? Pretty much every HPSP student that comes from a school affiliated with a big hospital system is just shocked at the difference in volume, acuity, support staff, etc.
This highlights a problem with training at a mtf. Residents perceverated over jobs that nurses and techs do. We had to place our own ivs first round, very limited preop resources. At nmcp one preop nurse checked in all the patients versus in private practice we have 1 preop nurse to 2 patients. Our preop nurses are a very valuable resource. I don’t worry about difficult iv starts or labs everything is ready for review. Even on my worst days its 10x better then my best day in the .mil.

This highlights a problem with training at a mtf. Residents perceverated over jobs that nurses and techs do. We had to place our own ivs first round, very limited preop resources. At nmcp one preop nurse checked in all the patients versus in private practice we have 1 preop nurse to 2 patients. Our preop nurses are a very valuable resource. I don’t worry about difficult iv starts or labs everything is ready for review. Even on my worst days its 10x better then my best day in the .mil.
Which leadership has no one to blame for but themselves. Tasking attendings and residents to do labor that could and should absolutely be done by "lower level" staff just contributes to the lack of productivity and makes manning issues worse. I think leadership sees - Oh we have residents who can do IVs and it works and there's a month here and there without delays, this is the best! But then when there's higher volume, or tougher sticks, or an MD isn't available for it - the nurses and techs just sit and stare at each other wondering who's going to give the next break.

I was hoping DHA take-over would be a good thing. Privatizing the care and actually looking at the dollars and cents behind all this lost productivity would drive any C-suite executives crazy. So far, looks like more administrative bloat.

Which leadership has no one to blame for but themselves. Tasking attendings and residents to do labor that could and should absolutely be done by "lower level" staff just contributes to the lack of productivity and makes manning issues worse. I think leadership sees - Oh we have residents who can do IVs and it works and there's a month here and there without delays, this is the best! But then when there's higher volume, or tougher sticks, or an MD isn't available for it - the nurses and techs just sit and stare at each other wondering who's going to give the next break.

I was hoping DHA take-over would be a good thing. Privatizing the care and actually looking at the dollars and cents behind all this lost productivity would drive any C-suite executives crazy. So far, looks like more administrative bloat.
I agree with this. Seems like the restructuring has us worse than we were before…hopefully temporarily. Too many active duty losses, not enough civilian hires because pay isn’t enough and hospital system hasn’t been rebuilt yet. There are good idea fairys in leadership who aren’t using the org structure to implement so we are seeing the same disorganized and disconnected service specific MTFs that we always had.

Feels like we are trying to rebuild in to a new and innovative system that we built on our own through our own process improvement efforts. Why not just use the template of any large, profitable hospital system that we already have here in America?

I agree with this. Seems like the restructuring has us worse than we were before…hopefully temporarily. Too many active duty losses, not enough civilian hires because pay isn’t enough and hospital system hasn’t been rebuilt yet. There are good idea fairys in leadership who aren’t using the org structure to implement so we are seeing the same disorganized and disconnected service specific MTFs that we always had.

Feels like we are trying to rebuild in to a new and innovative system that we built on our own through our own process improvement efforts. Why not just use the template of any large, profitable hospital system that we already have here in America?
Completely agree. I think the absurdity is only going to be highlighted by the shutdown. It's tragically funny that Active Duty will stay and work longer hours to pick up the slack from the system while our civilian "support" is furloughed.

Tricare already pays out a premium when AD is deferred to network. Civilian hospitals and practices generally see it as a blank check. In my mind, there are few reasons why MTFs couldn't be abolished. Defer everything, and then keep the PCM type specialties to consult/interpret on the fitness for duty and work limitations of whatever condition is being managed.

I think the AF has this in a few of their residencies, where half of the cohort is military sponsored FTIS spots but they're essentially working in a civilian institution and program.

As pgg mentioned. A big problem is that you need a rotation of attending physicians to deploy. You justify absurdly fat staffing yet deny leave? As ops that was the worst of all the decisions to make is deny leave. Nobody wins when your one to one staffed. With supports support lates, backups etc oh my.

As pgg mentioned. A big problem is that you need a rotation of attending physicians to deploy. You justify absurdly fat staffing yet deny leave? As ops that was the worst of all the decisions to make is deny leave. Nobody wins when your one to one staffed. With supports support lates, backups etc oh my.
Denying leave is a local issue and also intra departmental. It means their leadership didn’t have the backbone to stand up for their people and they continued to say yes sir/ma’am when told to do more with less.

Personally my department is very understanding that we can only do so much given the lack of staff and resources. Leave is essential and necessary and isn’t denied for access to care issues or productivity issues so long as you’re hitting their arbitrary targets. Better make sure your 4th qtr GMT is done though!

Keeping a readily deployable force is straightforward if DHA made everyone do it the Air Force way plus more improvements in line with the discussion on this forum.

This will only happen when Navy and Army care is dessimated to the point that the line realizes they can’t get what they want and will accept getting only what they need from an efficiently run MHS.

The answer shut all DOD hospitals down minus those abroad. If in a critical need area or mtf. Relinquish control of the facilities to civilian control. Form tricare optimus prime that allows a golden ticket into any practice pay above prime insurance companies. Transition to an all reserve force that staffs international DOD facilities based on deployment cycle. Get rid of rank structure like the VA. Now DOD facilities will be held to the same efficiency standards as regular hospitals. Rank has no meaning in the active duty physician population.

The answer shut all DOD hospitals down minus those abroad. If in a critical need area or mtf. Relinquish control of the facilities to civilian control. Form tricare optimus prime that allows a golden ticket into any practice pay above prime insurance companies. Transition to an all reserve force that staffs international DOD facilities based on deployment cycle. Get rid of rank structure like the VA. Now DOD facilities will be held to the same efficiency standards as regular hospitals. Rank has no meaning in the active duty physician population.
I agree with most of the statements here except it should be tricare Megatron.

Number one reason I'm getting out is punishment promotions.

Do a good job, become "chief" of something, spend every second between patient encounters dealing with inter- and intradepartmental BS where you are expected to fix problems without any actual means to do so. Meanwhile, the folks who kept their heads down or even f'ed up just a little get paid the same and leave at 4 every day.

No thanks. I'll take a private job that pays triple with a third the amount of responsibilities.

Number one reason I'm getting out is punishment promotions.

Do a good job, become "chief" of something, spend every second between patient encounters dealing with inter- and intradepartmental BS where you are expected to fix problems without any actual means to do so.

My biggest frustration is that so little "stays" fixed or functional. It is the same battles every 12-18 months. It's not particularly fun to be in these positions in the first place, but there's absolutely no satisfaction in being some kind of Sisyphus in uniform - rolling the same boulder up hill over and over and over.

I’m 15 years out of Navy internship. My intern class had private DO’s but also Harvard and WashU grads. I’m not surprised that is no longer the case.

For a strong DO 15 years ago, Navy GME wasn’t a bad option. In some cases, it opened doors to competitive specialties that might otherwise have been closed.

The people from top MD programs were really slumming it. Hell, I was from a lower tier but well established MD school, and I felt like Navy MTF was a huge step down. Some of them made the most of it and got outservice fellowships at world class places—their careers were effectively saved. Others of us did GMO and out. Without civilian GME, careers were really stifled and in some cases ruined.

Diploma mill DO + HPSP scholarship + Navy intern year and off to fleet is frightening

Sailors and marines deserve better

Diploma mill DO + HPSP scholarship + Navy intern year and off to fleet is frightening

Sailors and marines deserve better
That’s a best case scenario I’m afraid.
NP ‘politicians’ are salivating at the thought of pushing independent NPs at the national level.

NP ‘politicians’ are salivating at the thought of pushing independent NPs at the national level.

Quite true. This phenomena is much broader than military medicine. Society is gradually minimizing the role of the physician, because we're overtrained, overeducated, and overpaid, to ultimately do a job that doesn't require that much brainpower.

Quite true. This phenomena is much broader than military medicine. Society is gradually minimizing the role of the physician, because we're overtrained, overeducated, and overpaid, to ultimately do a job that doesn't require that much brainpower.

As I said years ago, the housekeeper who watches "House" on streaming TV is the future of "health care" in the U.S., as long as the Assistant to the Assistant to the Assistant Physician's Assistant with a ChatMD app can rake in 80% of physicians' pay with 20% of the education time and costs and a 100% better lifestyle. Think about it: no call, minimal malpractice premiums (because the one doc left in their telemedicine bunker in Nebraska who signs off on all the idiots' care plans will be the one sued), equal respect from patients for the AAAPA "Doctor", what's not to like?). All it takes is watching a few videos online on how to say, "Hmm, that's concerning. Let's see what ChatMD has to say about your diagnosis and treatment..."

Military physicians lost the battle with CRNAs 20 years ago. Many of us sounded the alarm, but the ASA and VA
leadership didn't care, because it didn't affect their income in the slightest...and they thought that it would never happen
in the civilian/VA world...

What makes anyone think it will be any different with independent practice of NPs, PAs, APAs, AAPAs, AAAPAs, etc.?

Why not just cut out the middleman and tell the active duty troop in 2030: "OK, the AI says you have appendicitis.
Now, log on to the Joint Service Health Care Portal and click on 'self-serve appendectomy video'. You will need
a sharp knife and some alcohol, both to disinfect your belly and to drink as the sole anesthetic..."

Extra bonus: the service member can't sue themselves for malpractice! Plus, there will be more money to pay
DoD contractors and foreign countries if your active-duty headcount is "right-sized" a bit due to patient
empowerment, without the need for expensive, whiny physicians.