Retina

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jkin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the retina fellowship like (hours, etc.) compared to the Ophtho residency?

Members don't see this ad.

jkin said:
What is the retina fellowship like (hours, etc.) compared to the Ophtho residency?

Hours will vary from program to program. I will describe the hours for the retina fellows at Iowa.

As a first year fellow, the first 6 months are without call. The hours are from 8 AM to 5-6 PM. From months 6-18, the hours are still 8 AM to 5-6 PM, but call is one full week every third week. Depending on the emergent cases, e.g. IOFB, MAC ON RD, endophthalmitis, etc..., the hours spent at the hospital will vary. While I was on retina call as the resident (we take call one full week every third week like the fellows), I never worked more than 80 hours a week. Over the course of the week, I had to operate until 1-2 AM once or twice during the week. From months 18-24, the retina fellow goes back to no call and works 7 AM to 5-6 PM.

Some days may be longer if OR cases are long. The second year at Iowa is the surgical year with the fellows operating 2 days per week.

Call is not bad because patients are triaged and seen by the first call, backup call, and then the retina fellow is called.