Retinoscopy

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Oculomotor

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For the practicing OD's out there, how often do you guys/gals use retinoscopy in your practices versus an autorefractor and on which patients?
 
On kids, only a retinoscope and lens bar. Sometimes 10-12 times a day on adults because the technician forgot or didn't have the chance to do the auto refractor. It works out to 50% time retinoscope and lens bar and 50% of the time AR. By the way, I love the "spot" scope over the "streak".
 
I work at a small office with no techs or autorefractor -- I use my ret on most patients. One nice thing about ret is that you can see how clear the pt's media is, it gives you an idea of how crisp a 20/20 (or worse) you can expect to get.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, I scope about 25% of the time. Auto is good, but like ret, its just a rough tool. If you are good at ret, you can trust yourself over the Auto.
I personally found our Auto is not accurate past -4D, so if the patient is high, I ret anyway.

If you are looking for a way out of learning this skill... sorry! It is tough for some people to get, but its imperative you know it!
My problem learning it was I did not have my working distance down. I thought I was right at 1.5D away (66cm) when I was actually closer. I now use 1.75D as my WD and it works perfectly. Dead on.

Morale of the story: practice!
Good luck!