Spot vs streak retinoscopy

Started by 544356
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

5

544356

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To the optometrists out there, I just wanted to ask for your opinions and experience on spot vs streak retinoscopy.

I am a student optometrist and I am required to buy a retinoscope, but I'm not sure if the spot or the streak bulb is the better one to buy. After using both types of retinoscope for a short time, I found that the streak retinoscope was easier to find the axis of astigmatism and the motion of pupillary reflex compared to the spot retinoscope (I heard you had to look at the shape of the crescent or something).

But I wanted the opinions of professional optometrists before I buy a retinoscope because I plan to use the retinoscope well into my professional career. Which one do you think is better, spot or streak, and why?

Thank you.
 
To the optometrists out there, I just wanted to ask for your opinions and experience on spot vs streak retinoscopy.

I am a student optometrist and I am required to buy a retinoscope, but I'm not sure if the spot or the streak bulb is the better one to buy. After using both types of retinoscope for a short time, I found that the streak retinoscope was easier to find the axis of astigmatism and the motion of pupillary reflex compared to the spot retinoscope (I heard you had to look at the shape of the crescent or something).

But I wanted the opinions of professional optometrists before I buy a retinoscope because I plan to use the retinoscope well into my professional career. Which one do you think is better, spot or streak, and why?

Thank you.

Get the streak because it's easier.

However once you are done school, you will use an autorefractor 98% of the time.