Quantcast

USMLE Retired NBME Forms/Tests (NBME 1 - 7) : Discussion of Questions, Answers & Explanations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheAberrantGene

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Alright mates, I have been looking at a lot of threads here discussing the more recent NBMEs
(Including the NBME 18 thread i made a while back) but can't find designated threads for the older ones..
Like NBME 3 discussion or something like that..

So I wanna start a thread discussing the older NBMEs.
Now i know many of you are not planning on doing all of the older ones. But I have seen experiences of many MANY high scorers say that doing the older ones does help immensely.
To the uninitiated just look at experiences of @Phloston @Pollux or any other high scorer.. like this guy i saw on FB a while ago called Shah Jehan or something (I think the experience is somewhere on the fb step 1 forum and also here: fb.com/USMLEExperience )

I am going to give a few spoilers about the newer NBMEs in ONLY the next few lines between..like the dash dash thing ---- Those who dont wanna view the spoiler of 2/3 questions just skip down below. I promise the rest is not a spoiler:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now you may think, hold on sperm icon dude, aren't those like outdated.. arent they not worth doing ? That's why the NBME has retired em in the first place.
Simple Answer: Not even remotely !

With out saying much: There is a question on NBME 1/2 which shows a polyp and asks the type. The downloaded pdfs and stuff we all use have it incorrectly marked. i.e. the answer key which we use was f*cking wrong ! I did some of the earlier NBMEs just to get a feel oif it before i sat NBME 17.
NBME 17 had the same question !! Needless to say, i put the answer i memorized and got it wrong.
There were many MANY more mistakes. I am too behind schedule to make a list here.. But the key has like 10-20% wrong answers. Now that means if u do NBME 1-7 using that key it means they
have at the very least 150 or so answers wrong and in all likelihood more !

Also, on the point of whether they are outdated, just like the above question, there was a compression atrophy due to BPH question ni maybe NBME 6/7 and also on NBME 18..both almost VERBATIM the same with the same image.
There are loads of more examples and I am too busy to make a more comprehensive list but i guess u get the point.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So.. apart from the experiences and apart from prima facie evidence I think doing the older NBMEs can only help. I mean doing questions published by the people who MAKE the USMLE cant really hurt now, innit ?

So I am going to be posting questions here.. not necessarily doubts always but just questions of NBME 1-7 which we guys could discuss and perhaps benefit from. Anyone doing the older NBMEs please post below and I and perhpas if others are interested will try our best to try and find an answer to and discuss.

Also, I think it will be beneficial if we have a system wherein we give the NBME number.
I think that's vital because you know sifting through 1400 questions (200 per test x 7 tests) will be tiring.

Dont ask me for it.. I am not going to give the link to download the older ones primarily because it's against SDN TOS & i dont want my account banned.. just go to one of em FB forums.. ask around and people will help.. there must be like a million links for the same stuff..just ask post there and u will have what u want in like 2 sec [ADMIN note: i didnt break any rule..just pointing people to look the right way.. Dont ban me ! ]

While I am scoring in excess of 260s (a 270 on one of em) for the past few NBMEs... i think participating in this discussion will help everyone even if someone is starting out fresh. Doing the questions that the NBME/USMLE made which i think many people say there are like 10-15 verbatim questions on the real deal and a few dozen based on concepts discussed in NBMEs...will only help us all ! :)
Best of luck !

Reactions: 1 users

Reperfused

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Count me in! I really like this idea. But here's the thing, how long are you planning to take to do and discuss NBMEs 1-7? I have done only 1 uptil now. Will be doing 2-7 over the next 2-3 months. Maybe I can contribute to the discussions little by little as I go.

JK270

Reaction score
Alright mates, I have been looking at a lot of threads here discussing the more recent NBMEs
(Including the NBME 18 thread i made a while back) but can't find designated threads for the older ones..

Now i know many of you are not planning on doing all of the older ones. But I have seen experiences of many MANY high scorers say that doing the older ones does help immensely.
To the uninitiated just look at experiences of @Phloston @Pollux or any other high scorer.. like this guy i saw on FB a while ago called Shah Jehan or something (I think the experience is somewhere on the fb step 1 forum and also here: fb.com/USMLEExperience )

I am going to give a few spoilers about the newer NBMEs in ONLY the next few lines between..like the dash dash thing ---- Those who dont wanna view the spoiler of 2/3 questions just skip down below. I promise the rest is not a spoiler:

Now you may think, hold on sperm icon dude, aren't those like outdated.. arent they not worth doing ? That's why the NBME has retired em in the first place.

With out saying much: There is a question on NBME 1/2 which shows a polyp and asks the type. The downloaded pdfs and stuff we all use have it incorrectly marked. i.e. the answer key which we use was f*cking wrong ! I did some of the earlier NBMEs just to get a feel oif it before i sat NBME 17.
NBME 17 had the same question !! Needless to say, i put the answer i memorized and got it wrong.
There were many MANY more mistakes. I am too behind schedule to make a list here.. But the key has like 10-20% wrong answers. Now that means if u do NBME 1-7 using that key it means they

Also, on the point of whether they are outdated, just like the above question, there was a compression atrophy due to BPH question ni maybe NBME 6/7 and also on NBME 18..both almost VERBATIM the same with the same image.
There are loads of more examples and I am too busy to make a more comprehensive list but i guess u get the point.

So.. apart from the experiences and apart from prima facie evidence I think doing the older NBMEs can only help. I mean doing questions published by the people who MAKE the USMLE cant really hurt now, innit ?

So I am going to be posting questions here.. not necessarily doubts always but just questions of NBME 1-7 which we guys could discuss and perhaps benefit from. Anyone doing the older NBMEs please post below and I and perhpas if others are interested will try our best to try and find an answer to and discuss.

Also, I think it will be beneficial if we have a system wherein we give the NBME number.
I think that's vital because you know sifting through 1400 questions (200 per test x 7 tests) will be tiring.

Dont ask me for it.. I am not going to give the link to download the older ones primarily because it's against SDN TOS & i dont want my account banned.. just go to one of em FB forums.. ask around and people will help.. there must be like a million links for the same stuff..just ask post there and u will have what u want in like 2 sec [ADMIN note: i didnt break any rule..just pointing people to look the right way.. Dont ban me ! ]

While I am scoring in excess of 260s (a 270 on one of em) for the past few NBMEs... i think participating in this discussion will help everyone even if someone is starting out fresh. Doing the questions that the NBME/USMLE made which i think many people say there are like 10-15 verbatim questions on the real deal and a few dozen based on concepts discussed in NBMEs...will only help us all ! :)
Best of luck !

Reperfused

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hahaha this is a solid proof that people don't read complete posts :D

P.s. Sorry for this irrelevant post but I just couldn't hold my much-needed-laugh in between the crazy journey of step 1!

Reactions: 1 user

TheAberrantGene

Reaction score
Can you please send me a copy of retired NBME so we can discuss the answers together. Thanks!

bro... i already talked about this in the first post..

Dont ask me for it.. I am not going to give the link to download the older ones primarily because it's against SDN TOS & i dont want my account banned.. just go to one of em FB forums.. ask around and people will help.. there must be like a million links for the same stuff..just ask post there and u will have what u want in like 2 sec

TheAberrantGene

Reaction score
@JK270 and everyone else who wants it..

step 1: go to fb..
step 2: search: Step 1 preparation forum..
step 3: join the group..
step 4: ask for the stuff u want..

They have a database of sorts.. click and download links for almost everything u read on SDN..

Alright..thats all i m gonna say.. i dont wanna be banned..
I havent posted a link and hence havent broken the TOS

Pushtothestars

Reaction score

Best of luck !
How much time do u take to complete a nbme? And per block? If u have the old ones??