Retook G-Chem1...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Variance

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I retook G-Chem1 and got a D... but it was a awkward situation

The first time I took GenChem1 it was during the summer. I overslept from reviewing all night and missed the final. So I failed.

The second time I took it.. I did well on the Lecture and exams but the only lab spot open was a 8 am lab.. I live 50 minutes away from school and traffic caused me to miss alot of labs. The bad lab grade dragged me from a A/B to a D. They lump Lab and Lecture together.. They would not let me substitute my old lab grade(which was a 97% by the way).

The D is good enough for me to continue on to gchem2.. which I have and I got a 96% on my first exam.. Im doing well so far.

but Im concerned about my chem1 grade.
Should I take Chem 1 agaiin for a third time? it seems like itd be a waste of time. but it may prevent me from getting into my engineering program and Im guessing into med-school if they wont accept an A on my G-Chem 2 Grade.

Im up for any advice... or am I pretty much screwed?

Members don't see this ad.

Re-take it again, and you need to learn to get up early enough to make it to all of your labs. That's pretty shady, if you ask me. A D is a really bad grade.

TheProwler said:
Re-take it again, and you need to learn to get up early enough to make it to all of your labs. That's pretty shady, if you ask me. A D is a really bad grade.

ah damn.. is it suggested for me to take it at the same Univ again
or can i take it at comm college to save some money?
having to do labs for the third time is going to blow.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, a D is bad and you don't really have *special* circumstances. Waking up late and missing labs/finals is not a decent excuse. So, you gotta retake it. If I were you, I would avoid community college science classes. Everybody knows that they are easier and taking Gen Chem I at a community college would really make adcoms think that you couldn't handle the course at a university (which they will already tend to believe since you got poor grades... D and F). You wanna show them otherwise.

does your school completely erases your old grades on your transcript after you get a new grade? That would be helpful in your case. But defenietly take it over... and just don't stay up all night studying anymore. And if this ever does happen again.... Get some type of fake note... or your grandma died... haha .. I would lie my ass off if they were going to fail me just for missing a test.

alright guess there's no way around it..
ll take g-chem 1 over in the summer while I take o-chem.

this is seriously going to screw me over for the ad-coms isn't it?

Variance said:
alright guess there's no way around it..
ll take g-chem 1 over in the summer while I take o-chem.

this is seriously going to screw me over for the ad-coms isn't it?

yes. yes it will.

fullefect1 said:
does your school completely erases your old grades on your transcript after you get a new grade? That would be helpful in your case. But defenietly take it over... and just don't stay up all night studying anymore. And if this ever does happen again.... Get some type of fake note... or your grandma died... haha .. I would lie my ass off if they were going to fail me just for missing a test.

even if his school erases his past 2 D's and replaces with what i assume would be an A (gathering from your past experiences in the class, assuming you WAKE UP EARLY this time), when he applies to med schools, theyll still see the 2 D's and they will be counted in his GPA on his application

take the class over, and when you get interviews, explain it, although, yes, over-sleeping is a horrible excuse. sorry man.

ktsou said:
even if his school erases his past 2 D's and replaces with what i assume would be an A (gathering from your past experiences in the class, assuming you WAKE UP EARLY this time), when he applies to med schools, theyll still see the 2 D's and they will be counted in his GPA on his application

take the class over, and when you get interviews, explain it, although, yes, over-sleeping is a horrible excuse. sorry man.

Depends how the school handles it. Most schools put both the old and new grades on the transcript, and many just use the later retake grade in the school's GPA. This will mean the AMCAS GPA will be significantly lower because AMCAS will still use both grades. However if the school doesn't put the prior grades on the transcript (a rarity, I suspect), then AMCAS won't know about them and it doesn't have to find its way into AMCAS -- I think that was the prior poster's point. Most likely the grades will have been reported though, and the OP is going to need to get a bunch of A's from here on in out and a good MCAT to salvage his stats.
I would certainly try to come up with a better excuse than oversleeping when trying to explain away things. That won't fly with adcoms.

eh.. hmM i guess I could find a better excuse.
i figure honesty is the best policy most of the time though.
I screw up.. so i gotta take responsibility..

I think my school shows everything on the transcript so I'm fux0red
I'll probably need a MCAT of 35+

Variance said:
eh.. hmM i guess I could find a better excuse.
i figure honesty is the best policy most of the time though.
I screw up.. so i gotta take responsibility..

I didn't mean to say you should lie -- I'm just suggesting that indicating a prior lack of maturity/focus which has since been remedied sounds a lot better...