Retransmitting Step 3 scores advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eef13

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

IMG applying for IM here. I have 230+ in my Step 1 and 2 exams and recently passed Step 3 with a lower score (didn't study that well as I didn't have time) and got 217.

I have around 12 interviews with around half of those programs sponsoring H1 visa.

Question: should I retransmit the score or just wait until programs are probably done ranking applicants to retransmit?

Members don't see this ad.

Why did you even bother to take it now? Your score doesn't really matter that much quite honestly, but unless there are programs that require it to rank (never heard of one) I'd keep it to yourself.

Why did you even bother to take it now? Your score doesn't really matter that much quite honestly, but unless there are programs that require it to rank (never heard of one) I'd keep it to yourself.

Probably because it's required for an H visa. Hence, some programs might want to see it to know that they can start the H process immediately after the match. It's a slow process, and a late Step 3 will likely lead to a late start.

My sense is to release it. I think the value for someone needing an H of proving it's done is greater than the damage a slightly lower score will do. But it's an impossible question to know for certain.

Probably because it's required for an H visa. Hence, some programs might want to see it to know that they can start the H process immediately after the match. It's a slow process, and a late Step 3 will likely lead to a late start.

My sense is to release it. I think the value for someone needing an H of proving it's done is greater than the damage a slightly lower score will do. But it's an impossible question to know for certain.

I think the Step 3 score you posted is likely equivalent to your Step 1/2 scores if you look at the actual percentiles, but correct me if I am wrong. I do not think releasing the Step 3 score will hurt you at this point. Programs that offer H1b visas don't need to see your score now. In fact, I would argue they don't care. If you don't have your score after the match, you are J1 bound. It's easy for them. That said, you could still get an H1b visa in time if you have your Step 3 results in March from what I have seen at my institution. Unless, Trump.