returning after interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

penguins

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question:
2 of the 4 interviews I have been at so far really enthusiastically invited us to come back anytime to hang out, ask questions, attend a conference, etc.
Do you guys think this is sincere or generic and does anyone plan on doing it? I was thinking it might just give me an opportunity to make a stupid blunder or make myself look worse in some way but it would also make it clear how serious I was. I thought attending a grand rounds might be safe in the begining of January at my favorite place.
Also, is it cool to tell a program they are your number 1? I did so during my interview because I was just so excited. Hope it wasn't too forward. What about follow up thank you note mentioning that?
...This is worse than dating!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I think a second visit shows that you are truly interested in a program and is a clear sign to the PD of that interest.

As far as thank you notes, I'm only writing them if there was something memorable from the interview that I can mention - like books we talked about or sports teams, or anything random that might come up. The generic thank you note will just get overlooked I think. But that's just my opinion. haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think 2nd looks are good if you're an applicant that is on the cusp of being ranked highly enough to match. It might push you higher in the rankings, though I doubt that really happens.

If you're a weak applicant (not saying you are), 2nd looks won't help.

I'm not personally planning on any. Mainly cause I'm broke!

Thankfully, my favorite place is on the way to another interview that I have in January so it won't cost me another trip. I went broke a long time ago. I am saving my reciepts though, this is suppossed to be all tax deductable. Of course, you have to have an income to be taxed first and that has probably already been exceeded for me. :(