Other Returning to residency after leaving military

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Anony-mouse

Physician
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello
So apologies in advance this is a long one.

During my first year of Residency I was placed on academic probation for a period of 3 months for professionalism and patient care issues. Specifically, being late for clinic as well as assessment and plans that were not at my expected level during rounds. I was able to complete this and progressed to second year.

In PGY-2, I was again cited for patient care issues and professionalism. However based on institution rules, I wasn’t able to repeat probation and the clinical competency committee instead recommended my termination from training. I was allowed to resign in lieu of this.

I know at the end of the day I am responsible for myself and I take full responsibility for what happened; but I also think negative perceptions of me from PGY-1 were hard to shake and lead to increased scrutiny and added stress.

After leaving the program, I was able to work as a GMO and paid back my time before ETSing in February 2019. However, I struggled to find a post because of a very negative final evaluation from my PD. I did eventually find a very kind CPT who was willing to take a chance.

Since leaving the military I've been trying unsuccessfully to match again but this final eval is like a black mark. I've tried everything, research, externships, LOR's. I even printed out my OER's from immediately after to show this was a one time thing. I don't really know where to go from here, so I want to see if anyone was in my situation before, if they were able to overcome it and how?