Returning to the UK to study Medicine - Please Help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MackJ01

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there everyone!

I'm just wondering if anyone knows how my current situation will pan out, I'm debating career paths right now!

So I'm an international undergraduate student, from the UK, studying at Yale (currently a Sophomore). I'm planning on majoring in Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology, and have a current GPA of about 3.6 (hope to raise to a 3.7/75).

I have always held Medical school as a potential career path, but wasn't sure after finishing high school (as to why I chose to study in the US instead of doing Undergrad Medicine in the UK), however after shadowing a doctor over Summer (2016) and researching more, I'm certain that med school is the path for me.

However, gaining admission to a US medical school as an intl student is nigh-impossible so I would have to return to the UK and apply for an accelerated 4-year course! (which I am ok with). I love the look of Oxford's programme, but these courses are EXTREMELY competitive and I'm wondering whether or not I can be considered competitive having a non-UK degree? Has anyone heard of anyone doing this?

Also, I'm guessing the undergrad 'pre-med' requirements aren't necessary for UK entry as they are specific to US medical schools?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Mack!

I am also a pre-med Biology student interested in UK graduate entry medicine,but I am an international student to the UK, :p
I did a little research on UK GEM programmes and found some interesting stuff.

Competitiveness of Oxford
Yeah,it's super competitive to get in Oxford.I think the school does accept international student applications with a non-UK degree,so why not give it a shot? I think it's worthy of a try. For me,no way I am applying there even if I max out my GPA and co-curriculars. The competition is too gruelling for me.

US medical school
The green card woes,I think it's definitely better to try in UK.

UK entry requirements
From what I read,UK has an interesting set of entry requirements,not the same as pre-med.

Work experience>>Some universities require you to work in a care setting or have certain amount of volunteer experience
"A" levels pre-reqs>> Some universities require a baseline cut-off for your "A" levels results
BMAT/UKCAT/GAMSAT>>Different standardized test from the US,not much studying as the MCAT
Personal Statement>>Got to write a short and sweet personal statement
Nature of Degree>>Some require science degrees,which we both fulfilled

UK has 4yr GEM programmes and 5yr UG programme. It is possible to apply to the latter,if you are really desperate for a place.

Personally,I am considering KCL,SGUL and QMUL for the GEM programmes.

Hope that answers your question!

Hi there everyone!

I'm just wondering if anyone knows how my current situation will pan out, I'm debating career paths right now!

So I'm an international undergraduate student, from the UK, studying at Yale (currently a Sophomore). I'm planning on majoring in Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology, and have a current GPA of about 3.6 (hope to raise to a 3.7/75).

I have always held Medical school as a potential career path, but wasn't sure after finishing high school (as to why I chose to study in the US instead of doing Undergrad Medicine in the UK), however after shadowing a doctor over Summer (2016) and researching more, I'm certain that med school is the path for me.

However, gaining admission to a US medical school as an intl student is nigh-impossible so I would have to return to the UK and apply for an accelerated 4-year course! (which I am ok with). I love the look of Oxford's programme, but these courses are EXTREMELY competitive and I'm wondering whether or not I can be considered competitive having a non-UK degree? Has anyone heard of anyone doing this?

Also, I'm guessing the undergrad 'pre-med' requirements aren't necessary for UK entry as they are specific to US medical schools?

IMO, you're in a good position to go to the UK for medical school, and perhaps Oxford. For reference, I'm a US citizen pursuing an MSc at Oxford, and considered applying to medical school in the UK last year. You're correct in that Oxford's graduate entry medicine program is very difficult to get into, although you have a better chance at being accepted than US citizens. I'd assume that you'd be as competitive at Oxford as UK citizens whom graduated from UK universities due to your citizenship; US citizens can get into UK medical schools if they do the right things, but have to be extraordinary to get into Oxbridge.

And, pre-medical requirements differ between the US and UK. US medical schools require a specific course pattern while most of the UK graduate entry medicine (GEM) programs want a BS in a medically-relevant science (e.g. biochemistry, biology, etc). You should also know that UK medical schools occasionally require different admissions tests (e.g. the BMAT and UKCAT) and you have to take them in the same year you're applying through UCAS, where you're only given 4 choices of which to apply to. Only specific centres in the US offer the tests, and I was actually living in New Haven CT this Fall -- doing research remotely from Oxford between Harvard and Yale -- and scheduled to take the BMAT in NYC at the International House. Feel free to pm me with questions on UK medical school admissions.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there everyone!

You are definitely considered competitive depending on your GPA and ECs. I know a Canadian who got into Cambridge's GEM program a few years back, graduated from McGill. I do believe that because admissions are more holistic for GEM you will probably have an advantage coming in from Yale. Your citizenship will help you especially regarding some GEM programs which only accept UK citizens.

I myself went the opposite route, went to the UK for undergrad and then applied back home to Canada for medical school. Its a tough process I know because just like you perhaps Canadian medical schools often require pre-requisites that a UK degree won't provide, meaning I was only eligible at a few schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey- if you still have questions about this feel free to get in touch or message me about this. I did an undergrad degree in the US (did anthropology/pre-Med) then did a 4 year graduate entry programme in the U.K.- it can be done. That said- I'm surprised you think it'll be hard for you to get into a US medical school if that's something that you wanted-! Unless of the issue is cost- American Med schools can be so expensive. Anyway- let me know if you have questions.

Hey- if you still have questions about this feel free to get in touch or message me about this. I did an undergrad degree in the US (did anthropology/pre-Med) then did a 4 year graduate entry programme in the U.K.- it can be done. That said- I'm surprised you think it'll be hard for you to get into a US medical school if that's something that you wanted-! Unless of the issue is cost- American Med schools can be so expensive. Anyway- let me know if you have questions.

Just out of curiosity, which UK GEM program did you do? I'm considering medicine there as well as US pharmacy schools since my MCAT expired; I want to work in the pharmaceutical industry, fwiw.