You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Reusing application photo from past cycle?
Started by Stethonope
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Is it allowed? Yes.
Send a new one if you were not smiling or wearing a tie.
It's not worth wondering about.
Send a new one if you were not smiling or wearing a tie.
It's not worth wondering about.
Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What should females wear in the photos? In mine, I'm just wearing a t-shirt, but should I wear something more professional?
What should females wear in the photos? In mine, I'm just wearing a t-shirt, but should I wear something more professional?
You are applying to medical school.
Why not look pleasant?So we have to smile?
What should females wear in the photos? In mine, I'm just wearing a t-shirt, but should I wear something more professional?
.... You are applying to professional school. You should be wearing business professional clothes in the picture that admissions committee will use of their very first impression of you.
I don't mean to highjack this thread, but is having a beatle haircut considered "unprofessional" for a guy? something like this: http://sp2.fotolog.com/photo/34/51/101/gustavin77/1196658252_f.jpgWhy not look pleasant?
I can't recommend this.I don't mean to highjack this thread, but is having a beatle haircut considered "unprofessional" for a guy? something like this: http://sp2.fotolog.com/photo/34/51/101/gustavin77/1196658252_f.jpg
Is it allowed, yes.
Send a new one if you were not smiling or wearing a tie.
It's not worth wondering about.
Hey gyngyn, would you mind elaborating on the tie part? I'm just a little confused because on the other thread, you said it was just a head shot so it doesnt matter what you're wearing. Thanks!
Hey gyngyn, would you mind elaborating on the tie part? I'm just a little confused because on the other thread, you said it was just a head shot so it doesnt matter what you're wearing. Thanks!
Professional ID photos are generally head and shoulders, which would show whether or not you're wearing a tie.
A head shot includes the neck and the top of the shoulders.Hey gyngyn, would you mind elaborating on the tie part? I'm just a little confused because on the other thread, you said it was just a head shot so it doesnt matter what you're wearing. Thanks!
You still type fast.Professional ID photos are generally head and shoulders, which would show whether or not you're wearing a tie.
Is a suit necessary? Or is shirt + tie fine?A head shot includes the neck and the top of the shoulders.
Mostly asking because where I am right now, I don't have a suit available
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A shirt and tie will still be better than half the photos we see.Is a suit necessary? Or is shirt + tie fine?
Mostly asking because where I am right now, I don't have a suit available
Last edited by a moderator:
so are business casual clothes okay for women? like a nice blouse? or should i put on a jacket and pose?
Women are held to the same standards as men. Don't pose, smile.so are business casual clothes okay for women? like a nice blouse? or should i put on a jacket and pose?
Women are held to the same standards as men. Don't pose, smile.
haha, bad use of the word pose my b. since there is no tie equivalent for women i'll just put on a jacket for the photo thanks!
Lol gyngyn will probably disapprove, but I threw on a button-down oxford over a sports bra and running shorts, stepped outside and had the picture taken against a neutral background. It looks professional enough and one will ever know I went back to looking like a scrub 5 seconds later.
Thank god I didn't have to put an outfit together
Thank god I didn't have to put an outfit together
I can see that. But would it negatively affect my chances for an interview/acceptance? I mean it's not like there is hair in my eyes or anything, nor is it messy. It's clean and washed/combed. Anything particularly wrong with having longer hair as a guy?I can't recommend this.
I can see that. But would it negatively affect my chances for an interview/acceptance? I mean it's not like there is hair in my eyes or anything, nor is it messy. It's clean and washed/combed. Anything particularly wrong with having longer hair as a guy?
There is no rule against either of these choices.Well apparently I am an idiot..I didn't even think to wear something professional in the picture. It's a headshot but I'm just wearing a white and grey t-shirt. How detrimental will this be to the secondaries I've already submitted?
If this is exactly how you want to look, there is no reason for me to talk you out of it.
Last edited by a moderator:
There is no rule against either of these choices.
When you have spent years preparing for this application, it does seem odd to commit so little thought with how you present yourself, though.
Good to know, I'll take a different one for any remaining secondaries. Thank you.
All of these posts with specifics are freaking me out. The photo I've been sending out was a headshot taken by a professional photographer at a formal event I attended in which I was wearing a plain black dress with a very conservative neckline. I am not in a position that I would consider "posed," but my head is tilted slightly to the side as photographers often tell you to do. So this picture is not something I took specifically for this, but I figured that I looked nice and professional, and I just used it. Is this going to come off as being too much (like the fact that it was professionally taken and everything)?Women are held to the same standards as men. Don't pose, smile.
This will be fine.All of these posts with specifics are freaking me out. The photo I've been sending out was a headshot taken by a professional photographer at a formal event I attended in which I was wearing a plain black dress with a very conservative neckline. I am not in a position that I would consider "posed," but my head is tilted slightly to the side as photographers often tell you to do. So this picture is not something I took specifically for this, but I figured that I looked nice and professional, and I just used it. Is this going to come off as being too much (like the fact that it was professionally taken and everything)?
Way better than a sloppy selfie while driving (of which there are many).
Some of this stuff is common sense people. You've spent the last 3+ years getting yourself ready to apply to medical school. Endless nights studying for the MCAT, countless volunteer hours, stressing over a personal statement, etc.
Now the final step is a nice looking picture and you can't be bothered to get a hair cut or to wear a business shirt or to smile? This is such an EASY thing to accomplish. Why wouldn't you do this in a heart beat? I just don't get it. SMH
Now the final step is a nice looking picture and you can't be bothered to get a hair cut or to wear a business shirt or to smile? This is such an EASY thing to accomplish. Why wouldn't you do this in a heart beat? I just don't get it. SMH