Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. Looking for any insight to see how I am stacking up when it comes to my ECs. For context, I am a non-trad going back for a DIY post-bacc this Fall and hope to apply MD/DO in a few years. GPA will be below average for both (3.2~). No MCAT score yet.

Leadership (Feel like I’m grasping in this category.)
  • Current - Weekend Case Management Manager - A lead case manager on the weekends.
  • 6-7 years ago - Involved in an indie record label.
  • 8 years ago- Was involved in a band with multiple roles.

Healthcare Experience:
  • Full-time Rehab Tech (approx. 10,400 hours) while completing a bachelor's degree.
  • Hospice Social worker (Licensed Bachelor of Social Work)- I was PRN so maybe about 100 hours.
  • Hospital Social Worker / Case Manager - (Full time). Lots of experience with discharge planning, patient and family meetings (goals of care, need for community resources, etc), coordinating resources and working with every type of possible healthcare professional.
  • Sole social worker on the Cancer Committee at my hospital. Helped develop plans in the community for cancer patients to receive discounts at local farmer markets for healthier food options.
Research:
  • Helped a Social Work professor with a community needs assessment for a local non-profit clinic. My name is on the report, but I’m not sure if this would count for research.

Volunteer:
  • Volunteered at a local men’s homeless shelter. One to two days per week.

I don’t think the band stuff is leadership, and I don’t think your research is research. But that’s ok, you have strong clinical experience and are working on nonclinical volunteering which are where you should really focus your efforts anyways.

in particular, I think research is very low yield and wouldn’t attempt to fit it in as it just isn’t likely to matter to the schools you will apply to

Members don't see this ad.

I would agree the band is not leadership...more of a hobby/activity and the research is not research.

Wouldn't sacrifice your time trying to get research at this point. Focus on the rest of the app.

Status
Not open for further replies.